Sunday, June 03, 2007

Keeping One's Priorities Straight

When I'm about to photograph a nude or semi-nude model, I usually begin by carefully examining her face looking for symmetry. (Or lack of it.)

This usually has much to do with the model's eyes: I'm looking to see if they are about the same size as each other or if one is larger/smaller then its mate. As all portrait photographers know, when the subject's eyes are noticeably mismatched in size, conventional wisdom dictates turning the subject's face in ways that keep the larger eye further from the camera than the smaller eye. In this way, both eyes will appear to be of approximately the same size in the resulting images.

Since glamour photography is similar to portrait photography -- albeit with more emphasis on the model's feminine assets -- this technique also works well when deciding where to place those assets in relation to the lens. In other words, I also look for symmetry in those feminine assets and, if they seem mismatched, I use the same conventional wisdom that places the larger eye further from the camera then the smaller eye.

BTW, if a model has mismatched eyes as well as mismatched feminine assets, and they are each on opposite sides to each other, I'll usually opt to put the larger feminine asset further from the lens and not worry much about the eyes. I am, after all and for the most part, shooting pretty ladies with little or no clothing on and, therefore, need to keep my priorities straight.

The pretty girl at the top is Jamie who didn't appear to have anything mismatched. I shot Jamie this past week with a Canon 5D with an 85mm, f/1.8 prime attached. ISO was at 100, exposure was f/5.6 at 125th.

No comments: