Friday, August 17, 2007

Pretty Girl Shooter DVD?

I'm discussing producing a Pretty Girl Shooter video, make that a DVD, with a documentary-film production company. If we produce it, the program will be instructional and focused on a lot of things I've talked about here, on the blog. We're looking to produce something that, in addition to its "how to" aspects, will be fairly entertaining. A couple of hot models should certainly help out with that.

We also want to keep the production budget reasonable so the DVD can be offered at a great price. I'll probably be calling in favors for this production. That's one way to keep some of the costs in line. At the same time, we want the program to have good production values and not look like some cheap, shot-from-the-hip, amateurish production. That means we'll have to spend some dough in the right places.

For the past few days, I've been working on an outline for the show. There's a lot of material I'd like to cover but I don't want to overwhelm the viewers or ourselves, the producers.

For instance, we'll probably have to choose between an emphasis either on studio lighting or exterior, natural light. I'm thinking we'll probably focus on studio lighting, although that's not set in concrete. Keeping the production in a studio environment gives us better control over production logistics. But a lot of shooters venture outside, under the sun, and that's important for many. I suppose if we can figure out how to include both, and still not get into a runaway production situation, we'll try to include both.

Lighting and the tools of lighting, whether in the studio or outdoors, will be a major subject in the video as will posing and working with models in general. Makeup, hair, and wardrobe will also be covered. I'm not sure how much the subject of post-production will come into the picture. Certainly, I want to cover this subject to some degree but I don't want a big part of the DVD to become a Photoshop tutorial. (There's plenty of those out there in the marketplace... as if I'm qualified to give one, anyway.) I suppose the best thing will be to cover production techniques that help make the post processing experience more efficient, less difficult, and one that yields better results.

Besides the major subjects I've just mentioned, there's probably a whole lot of other stuff that could be included in the DVD. I'm open to anyone's ideas. If you would like to input or make suggestions or lend us your thoughts, you can do so in the comments section of the blog or by emailing me. Hey! Wouldn't you love to see your name in the "Special Thanks to" part of the credits? Just for providing some good, usable ideas we didn't think of? Well, if so, put your thinking caps on!

The pretty girl at the top is Roxy. MUA was Dehlia. I shot Roxy this past week in the same photo-unfriendly location I shot Victoria. (See previous update.) This time, after extracting Roxy and the hideous sculpture from the white wall, I took a different approach to making a composite image. Eventually, I might become somewhat competent at making these composite images. Or, maybe not. Oh well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that one of the defining qualities of glam photography is the lighting and much of that is in the studio. Let's face it, if you can control the studio, you have a better shot at controlling the great outdoors. I vote for a studio lighting DVD.

Bob from Fresno

Anonymous said...

Let me add my vote to the studio lighting as well. As you stated it provides you more control and helps to limit the cost. You should also leave yourself room for another DVD (i.e. a series perhaps). This way you can focus on where you want to take the audience with exact focus and clarity. With no worries as to the brevity of any particular subject. I'm already ready to see what more you have to share so bring on the DVD.

_____________
Q
S. Cali

Anonymous said...

Now this sounds exciting.

Tom McElvy said...

Jimmy:
Wow, the idea of a JimmyD DVD is exciting! I hope you will add dme to your mailing list for a copy when it is released! Your work has been an inspiration to me, and the idea of really seeing your work set in motion is great! Good luck with the project!

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,

You seem to have so much equipment to use. I hope the dvd will be of some use to people like me that have some equipment but nothing like your collection. Maybe make the dvd in a way that teaches both ways to get the job done. One with all the highend stuff and then doing the same with less. I will be the first in line to buy the dvd..

Mike

That Look Photography

Anonymous said...

As state you are of the old school mind set with tons of ability that would be great for a DVD. I hope it is set up with a lot of brfore and after shots to show the effects of what you are doing. I will be in line to pick up a copy.

Unknown said...

Hey Jimmy, see how you got everyone excited. When it comes to lighting beautiful women you da man. I also vote for studio lighting as your first DVD. I'm eagarley anticipating the release and will be first in line to buy it. Oh by the way, when you take your seminars on tour, please bring Jenna Haze with you.

Thanks

Rich