Monday, April 28, 2008

Achy Breaky Heart for Disney?

As much as I admire the photographic skills and achievements of Annie Leibovitz, I have to question her recent artistic judgment. (Notice I didn't say, "commercial judgment.") Anyway, I'm talking about all the hoopla surrounding Ms. Leibovitz's inferred-nude photograph of 15-year-old teen-star, Miley Cyrus.

Leibovitz, probably the most famous portrait photographer in the world, recently photographed Cyrus for Vanity Fair. In one particular photo, 15-year-old Cyrus appears to be nude while hugging a satin sheet or a towel or something to her chest. (Gee! How creative Annie!) Besides the image being so pedestrian for the likes of an uber-shooter like Leibovitz, you have to wonder what she was thinking when she thought it would be a good idea to shoot an underage actress in such a provocative way? (Other than the fact it will probably sell a whole bunch of magazines... which, I suppose, IS what she was thinking.) One also wonders where Miley's PR handlers were when the image was snapped?

According to news sources, Cyrus claims it was Leibovitz who suggested the teen-star pose so adult-like for the layout. "...you can't say no to Annie," Cyrus is quoted as saying. "She's so cute. She gets this puppy dog look and you're like, 'O.K.'"

(Note to self: Develop and perfect a puppy dog look for use while working with 18+ models.)

The Disney Channel, who produces and broadcasts the hugely popular "Hannah Montana" franchise, of which Cyrus is the star and title-character, is in damage-control mode. They are, it seems, more than a little concerned the photograph might adversely impact the TV show's popularity as its audience is mostly underage kids. Then again, they might have been in on it themselves. It wouldn't be the first time photographs like these have had a positive impact on a performer's allure, 15-years-old or not. Some financial analysts have gone so far as to predict Disney's stock might take a hit as a result of the photograph. Personally, I think that's hogwash.

Vanity Fair, on the other hand, is painting the photo-shoot as a Disney-friendly, wholesome, family event with Miley's Dad, "Achy Breaky Heart" country-crooner, Billy Ray Cyrus, participating. They've even put a video up on their website to prove it! This whole thing, with the controversy it has stirred, smells, suspiciously, like a typical Hollywood publicity stunt.

The eye candy at the top is Hannah (not Montana) from last week. We were shooting in a motorcycle rental shop in Marina del Rey, California. I didn't have enough lights to light up the motorcycles parked in the rental shop's cavernous garage but then, with a model who looks like Hannah, who's interested in seeing a bunch of parked Harley's anyway? Aren't you glad I didn't have any towels or satin sheets handy?

7 comments:

Lin said...

Being pro-nude, I would normally say it's a load of fuss about nothing, especially as nothing untoward is showing. But as a mother, I must admit that if it had been my daughter, I would have blocked publication by any legal means necessary.

Anonymous said...

She's 15-years-old. And young girls pick up all kinds of signals from the media about what's "normal." I'm not sure I'm okay with that picture in this context.

Reminds me of the Brooke Shields photos from decades ago. Lots of controversy. Lots of people getting rich and famous because of it.

But, make no mistake, this whole thing sounds like everyone is playing along with the unspoken understanding that this is good for business.

They are correct.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with how she shot her either...what can ya do..its in the past, done.

Oh and I'm glad no sheets were around when you shot Your Hannah ;) I live close to that shop...damn I would have assisted ya :P

jeff

HCoyote said...

I'd have to agree with Lin. There's one thing about implying nudity on an adult. There's another when it comes to implying it on someone underage. I honestly wonder what the photo editors were thinking when they chose this one.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it was Leibovitz or an "art" director that wanted this pose

D.L. Wood said...

Her Dad was there - why isn't he stepping up and taking or getting some heat if it's really a "BAD" photo.

joshua said...

I think Miley's face looked pretty "eh" compared the the 30 million other google images of her.