Monday, May 26, 2008

Job Poachers

Man! I hate job poachers! You know who I'm talking about-- Those people who use whatever means necessary to steal a gig from someone else. Personally, I don't poach jobs from friends and/or acquaintances. Leastwise, not knowingly. It ain't in my makeup. It's not how I roll.

If a potential client approaches me, that's one thing. If I approach a potential client, without the knowledge that they might already be using a friend or an acquaintance, simply offering up my availability and my work as credentials, that's another thing. But setting my sights on someone else's gig--someone I know personally--and lying, offering bribes or kickbacks, or using other underhanded tactics to poach that client ain't my style. People who knowingly and purposefully go after a (supposed) friend's or acquaintance's gig can go screw themselves! Hope they enjoy all the bad karma they're earning.

And why is it that the person trying to steal my gig--yeah, it's happened a number of times before--is always someone I've worked closely with-- oftentimes befriending them and helping them out in ways that either advanced their skills, landed them other gigs, or both?

Anyway, without providing specifics, I needed to get that off my chest. The good news--for me, at least--is the ingrate failed miserably in their job poaching attempts because A) he sucks as a photographer human being; B) he forgot it's a small world and when you act like a snake others often talk about it; and C) his job poaching skills suck too!

The pretty girl at the top is Jennifer from yesterday. I've been working a lot lately and have quite a bit more work booked... so updates might be slow in coming.

I photographed Jennifer in a corner of a dirty warehouse. (The only spot in the building they weren't using for the movie's production.) I used three sources to light her: A 5' Photoflex Octodome for my main and two sources with shoot-thru umbrellas for highlights. I also worked a silver reflector into the mix for a bit of fill. Canon 5D, 85mm prime, ISO 100, f/8 @ 80th.

Below, is a shot of the lighting. Some of you have indicated (in comments and emails) that you enjoy the lighting setup shots so I try to remember to snap a few. Obviously, this was one of those times when my memory was working.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in as one of the ones who appreciate the shot of the lighting setup. It's always very helpful to get a behind-the-scenes peek at things like this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am with you Jimmy in the job poachers hate... this dude isn't someone I know directly, I know he is a "photographer" (well at least he thinks he is...), every time I get a call from a client if he finds out BAM he tries to poach the gig... most of the time (like 90%)he goes as far as offering to work for the credit only... this of course has backfired to him and those clients, because they have searched after working with him for me to do a re-shoot 'cause the guy sucks.

He knows how to do fantasy stuff in photohsop, but when it comes to knowledge and practice of photography, this guy sucks-, :/ what is worst, he says that I "undermine his work by offering it cheaper" but his logic and math is very wrong... I mean.. How can I "offer it cheaper" than him if he is asking only for the credit meaning $0.00 and I am asking for $$$'s and a "fuck the credit I want money :D" ???? :/

I hope the poacher that tried to steal your gig is reading this post, he can rot in hell even more if he is an hypocrite!!

My best wishes Jimmy!!

Lin said...

During our very few years in this wonderful world of photography, we've rapidly discovered that it's full of so-called "friends" disguised as backstabbing b*******! (present company excepted of course)

Gosh, I do seem rather jaded don't I? (Not good considering I've only been doing this a couple of years!)

Anonymous said...

well, i'm one of those guys who enjoy having a look at the lighting setups. thank your for that!

jens

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

Looking at the two pictures, the second one (of the setup)is much cooler than the opening picture.

Did you just tweak the color temp to get the warmer tone of the first picture?

Thanks!

jimmyd said...

Looking at the two pictures, the second one (of the setup)is much cooler than the opening picture.

Did you just tweak the color temp to get the warmer tone of the first picture?


actually, i did the opposite. why? uhhhh.... well, i processed them at different times and uhhhh.... wasn't paying attention i guess.

Anonymous said...

Definitely continue (and have more of) the set up shots and any thoughts on how the image was created!