Wednesday, June 11, 2008

PGS 4 Ur Tube - An Update

It's been awhile since I wrote anything about my endeavors to bring the Gospel of Pretty Girl Shooting (according to me) to a television broadcast or DVD near you.

In short, nothing much worth reporting has transpired. My agent, according to him, is still trying to move forward with the TV show. And me, myself, and I, according to us, are still trying to move forward with the DVD.

The PGS TV show has been pitched a number of times. Although we always receive very positive responses from the development people, it seems the short-lived VH-1 photography-based series, "The Shot," continues to haunt us and thwart our endeavors. Broadcast television is a quirky, fickle, and insecure animal. Had "The Shot" been a hit, we might be making more progress. Since it wasn't, we aren't. As you might know, it only took one "Top Model" type show to spawn numerous copy-cats. It only took one "Top Chef" type show to do the same. But had either of them failed to garner much in the way of an audience, there would have been less chance of imitations following them. I don't see our show as an imitation or copy-cat of "The Shot." But, from a TV development person's perspective, there are enough similarities: You know, photographers and models and lights and cameras and all that sort of stuff. Apparently, that's enough to classify it as "similar." And maybe it is. Similar, that is. Sorta.

The DVD is another story. Simply put, the lack of foward momentum rests squarely on my shoulders. I have made a deal, leastwise, I've made a loosely-defined deal-in-theory, with the manager of a top glamour model to appear in the DVD. Her role would not be to model. Rather, her role would be sharing valuable info regarding models and their relationships with photographers. In other words, a unique perspective of the model/photographer relationship. (And how to build and nurture those relationships, even if they only last the length of a single sitting.) This, from a drop-dead-gorgeous model who has appeared on the cover of just about every pretty girl magazine on the planet: Playboy, Penthouse, FHM and more! Way more! So, I suppose that represents some kind of foward momentum.

Anyway, as June continues to unfold I find myself busier than I've been in a couple of years. Perhaps the planets and stars have all lined up in a very fortuitous way for this humble photographer? Maybe it's just my time? I don't know and I don't care. Of course, it's possible it's a flash-in-the-pan thing, i.e., a positive time in the cycle of things and, a few months down the road, I'll be wondering, "Where'd all that work go?" Regardless, at the moment I'm a happy camper... errr... photographer.

The pretty girl at the top is Kelly. Some of you might recognize her. Maybe not. I photographed Kelly at a location house in Marina del Rey a few weeks back. I'll be shooting her again this week in some completely different environments. Kelly captured with my Canon 5D, 85mm prime, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125. Three lights: Two in front and one from behind. There was some window light coming in from the side of her and from behind her.

1 comment:

joshua said...

I still read your blog. You are not forgotten.

;)

-joshua