Monday, March 24, 2008

Photo Forums in Decline?

Is it just me? Or does participation on many photography forums seem to be in decline?

I have no (scientific) empirical evidence to support my opinion but, it seems to me, photography forums have generally become less popular than they once were. Sure, the onset of Spring and the improved weather that comes with it might account for some people devoting less of their leisure time to things like surfing (and participating on) photo forums but, at the same time and as an example, I don't see a decline in traffic coming to this site. Besides, the decline in participation on photo forums seems to have been going on for quite some time now.

I suppose I should qualify my perceptions regarding this: I have no idea if traffic has declined at all the many photography forums that populate the internet, i.e., a significant drop-off in the number of surfers visiting these sites. I certainly don't have access to those sites' statistics and I don't visit enough different photo forums to know if my perceptions potentially represents a universal trend. But of the forums I generally visit, participation is noticeably down. By "participation," I'm referring to those visitors who actually post something on these forums, e.g., images, critiques, comments, or anything meaningful (or non-meaningful) beyond simply showing up and being a passive visitor, lurker, or looky-loo.

It's possible that participation on forums are cyclical and we're simply in one of those less-active cycles. I know I've been contributing less than I once did. There's no real reason (that I can think of) for my slow-down as an actively contributing member of more than a few forums. For whatever reasons, I've been less inclined to spend time sharing my thoughts and opinions. Maybe it's a case of photo-forum burnout? I really don't know.

Oh well. Things change. I have no idea if this is a permanent trend or a temporary one. It's just an observation. Time will tell.

The pretty girl at the top is Sunny Leone, 2003's Penthouse "Pet of the Year." The image is from a location shoot at an art gallery a few weeks ago. Sunny was a peach to work with. I lit her with two lights: A mainlight modified with a large, 4' Photoflex umbrella and a backlight using a small umbrella. I also used a Westcott 5-in-1 reflector, silver side out, to bounce in some front-fill. MUA was Melissa.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I don't really know about the decline of photography forums, but after reading your post i felt like I had to say this: you might feel less motivated by now, but please just carry on writing on your blog about your the way you work as a professional photographer. Thanks to this website and many others, I have already learnt and understood so many things about photography ! So a big thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.
All the best.
Christophe, Paris, France

Anonymous said...

Could it be that life is passing many of us by. Since the invention of the computer and digital medium in photography many people have been glued to their computer screens 24/7.

Perhaps many have realized that they have been missing out on other life opportunities and their age is an awakening and reminder of it. The internet forum and blog world is so large nowadays that you could commit the rest of your life to the internet asylum.

What happened to being outdoors, breathing some air, playing some sports and marvelling at all the wonderful things in this world. Women included. :) Life is too short folks to spend it married to your computer.

Declare it "Computer Free Day" soon!

Anonymous said...

All online forums go through this: I've watched it happen since I first started participating in USENET in the early 90's.

Forums are born, they grow, they hit the Jerk Event Horizon, they die. While the percentage of contributors who are jerks usually stays about the same, as the number of members increases, the absolute number of members who are jerks rises. When that absolute number hits a point where no meaningful dialogue can occur without massive jerkitude, the forum is doomed.

It is not to mourn or celebrate, it simply is.

M

D.L. Wood said...

I think you are the the cause.

Well not "you" really, but good blogs like yours could be the cause.

I used to spend a lot of time visiting forums and what I call community sites. But since I discovered blogs I can't spend the the time doing both and I choose blogs. I still do visit Fred Miranda's site, one of the few community type I still like.

I find blogs more personal. I find they share more easily. I have struck up friendships with several people through their blogs. Something I never did posting in the forum environment. On a forum if I asked a question or made a comment an untold number of people may have responded. Some with good advice, some not. Trying to carry on a dialog on a forum is hard sometimes, as you must pick up the thread in between other posts.
If I ask a blog owner a question and if the owner is kind enough to respond, I know the quality of the answer because I've been visiting and have felt that this was a good place to seek my information. If I make a comment it's because the blog owners shares some passion or thought that I like or want to explore (are you reading this Lin). Most forums seem to me to want short posts. On blogs..at least the ones I regularly comment on...don't have a problem with the length of my rambles.

It's like..I'm part of my city. I interact within it, but don't really feel a part of it on a personal level. Yet on my street. I feel I'm a part of this. I get to know the people, I interact with them on a more personal level. I can invite them over for beer and brats and feel comfortable.

This is how I feel about a lot of blogs I visit. In fact I probably communicate more on blogs than with my neighbors now. So anytime ya come through the Chicago area stop by for a beer and I'll throw a few brats on the grill. We'll get comfortable and as D. Brian Nelson says...we'll have some good conversation.

D.L. Wood

Lin said...

Most photographic forums start off well when they are relatively small, and end up like the others when they grow: boring, bitchy and ignorant. After a while you also simply get tired of dealing with the same topics over and over again. I left Model Mayhem for this reason.

I like the idea of a Jerk Event Horizon. Says it all really.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many is too many?

Could it be the shear number has diluted the quality and quantity of posts and posters?

Are photographers getting tired of seeing the same posts and images in multiple locations?

I don't have answers.

I think the comments above both about blogs and the jerk event horizon are valid . ( I like this term..:) )

I know I have structured my (very small) forum so that the jerk factor is low... it is amazing how having to use your real name cuts down on a lot of crap.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

JimmyD,

Can you provide some of the better forums you enjoy and frequent without telling us whether or not their activity level is in decline?

I'd like to know about some of the better photography forums. I visit Pro Photo Home, which is mostly technical stuff, and it's quiet. G1 has become quieter. Those are the two that I frequent the most.

If there are other good photography sites that deserve worthy mention, I am interested.

jimmyd said...

Here's the photo forums I visit, listed in no particular order of preference, recommendation, importance, how often I might visit, excellence, or any other rating or listing factor other than alphabetical:

CaliforniaPhotoForum.com
Glamour1.com
ModelMayhem.com
Photo.net
PhotoCamel.com
SuperShoots.net

Unknown said...

Someone else mentioned the "jerk" factor. Believe me, that factors in to my participation. Now I only post on boards where there is some respect shown for other members - so that leaves out ModelMayhem.

Anonymous said...

I visit your site for the ladies and info and yet have ever posted a comment til now. I also have two forums on photography that are private ones for members only. And participation has slowed down here too. Less uploads and comments for sure. Do you think we all have be over loaded with the internet? Or to busy trying to make gas money?

I'll keep visiting.... keep posting!

Thanks for the inspiration.

ozzoo

Anonymous said...

i spent alot of this winter reading forums, then i took a break (in part due to weather getting a bit better, and in part to life happening). i recently logged back into Model Mayhem - and what i found was the same 7 or 8 conversations are still happening. no need to log in every day, or even every few days if i'm not missing anything. so i stick to keeping up with myspace and this blog, and that's about it.