Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Rangefinder Quest (Update)

I still haven't managed to win an auction on Ebay for a decent rangefinder at a more than decent price. (Snipers suck!) Thanks for all the suggestions! I've spent the last few days obsessively researching and learning about many rangefinder cameras. For the kind of money I want to spend right now, which ain't much, I remain focused on Canon's 1970s era Canonet QL17 GIII.

Everything I read about this compact rangefinder seems to say some very good things about it...especially considering the price! I'd love to get one with a black body (Gotta be cool, right?) but they are very scarce.

I'm resigned to the the fact that I'll probably have to replace the light seals on a QL17 GIII camera once I win one. But, in my research on how to do this, it seems a fairly simple "fix" using very inexpensive materials.

I've also spent some time on FlickR forums looking for other peoples' work using a QL17 GIII and it seems very few shooters are using the camera with strobes. Granted, I'll be shooting a fair amount of available-light images--I have an interest in pursuing street photography to some extent--and this camera (as are many rangefinders) is perfect for using as a street snapper, especially with its 40mm f/1.7 glass, quick loading and focusing capabilities, shutter-priority auto-exposure mode, and compact, low-profile design. Granted, the camera's meter doesn't function in manual mode. I'll just have to tuck a light meter in my pocket when I go out to shoot.

I also want to shoot some pretty girl stuff using the rangefinder as well. I know the camera's 40mm lens is not exactly ideal for this kind of work so I'll probably concentrate on bigger images, that is, images where the subject is a smaller part of the overall image... where the environment becomes more important (or as important) as the model's importance is in the majority of my work. That's not to say I'm going to restrict using the camera to street photography and pretty girl shooting and little else. Who knows where this might lead? Maybe nowhere? Maybe somewhere? Time will tell.

Two auctions I'm participating in for QL17s end tonight. I'm hoping to win one of them. But I have another half-dozen similar cameras waiting in the wings in my Ebay "watch" list.

The pretty girl at the top is Alexa from some time ago. I've posted other images from this set before. Canon 5D, 85mm prime, ISO 100, f/5.6 @100, B&W conversion using the Channel Mixer method.

* * * * * * * * * U P D A T E * * * * * * * * * *

Finally won an auction! I'm now the proud owner of a Canon Canonet QL17 GIII rangefinder. I somehow managed to win the camera without resorting to sniping. Here's the rangefinder's description as provided by the seller:

This Canon Canonet QL17 GIII is in excellent+ condition and fully working including the shutter, meter, etc. The 40mm f/1.7 lens is clean and clear and very sharp. The camera's appearance is outstanding and the viewfinder is clean and clear. The camera's light seals have been recently replaced and it is ready to shoot. Includes lens cap, PX625A battery and complete owners manual on CD. High bidder wins it!

Ended up winning with a bid of $62.oo, paid for with part of the loot I earned selling an old, useless lens on Ebay a few weeks back. (Note: The lens was useless to me, i.e., I had no use for it in my kit. The lens itself was in fine condition, fully-functional and, obviously, not useless to the buyer.)

Note to self: Need to buy a few accessories, e.g., 48mm filters (skylight, green, etc.), spare battery, maybe a lens shade... Oh yeah, and some film. Jeez! I haven't bought film in SOOOooooo long!

Anyway, I'm anxious to get my hands on my new toy, play with it, get to know it, play with it more, get to know it more, and see how I do with it. Sorta sounds like dallying with a woman, huh? Here's some pics of the actual item I won. (As usual, click to enlarge.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy go to www.rangefinderforums.com and inquire there for a RF camera

Anonymous said...

You can't win on eBay if you aren't a sniper.

jimmyd said...

Bill-- Would agree with you... until last night when I (finally)won a QL17 GIII without sniping!

Anonymous said...

what's up with the light meter?

I'm surprised to hear that you would actually take a light meter for the street shooting... I guess at first maybe you'd need it to verify the shutter, but surely after a couple rolls go through you should be able to eye-ball it...

plus, film, especially black-n-white, is so much more forgiving then digital (unless you're shooting slide, of course)..

Hope you get that scanner working soon.. looking forward to hear your experiences with the rangefinder...

jimmyd said...

what's up with the light meter?

Old habits die hard. When I'm packing heat, i.e., a camera, I'm like Linus with his blanket. I feel better just knowing a meter in on my person. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sure you could guess and get marginal results, or just shoot a meter and get excellent repeatable results.

Latitude is highly over rated.

jimmyd said...

I can guesstimate exposure fairly well, tho I don't like doing so--latitude or not. For the street snapping I'll probly use the "A" mode for a lot of it. But there are a lot of variables and "A" mode is going to deliver an average exposure for whatever is in front of the lens. There's so much else I might want to shoot and, with much of it, I'm gonna want to nail the exposur... "A" model doesn't always nail it.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, I have been watching your site and haven't seen anything on the new camera. Have you put a roll through it yet? I have been running film through my old Nikons for fun the last few months. They still work fine! The biggest problem is that my local film developer doesn't do that great a job of scanning and I don't have a decent scanner. I'd like to hear how you are doing with yours.... Pancho in Houston

jimmyd said...

@Pancho-- I still have the first roll in the camera and, I'm embarrassed to say, it only has two or three exposures left on it and I still haven't clicked them off. I'm gonna get right on that and finish the roll off. It's pretty stupid on my part. I don't even know if the camera is operating properly. I won't know that till I process the first roll and I haven't even snapped that roll off yet. D'oh!@#