Sunday, October 19, 2008

Turning the Digital Clock Back to Analog

Lately, I've been thinking somewhat obsessed with the notion of shooting film again... just for grins. I pulled out some old gear I still had--Canon AE1 and various glass--and thought, "Okay, I'll get some Plus-X and shoot some B&W." Yep, the old AE1 still works. (They made cameras good back in the day.)

But then, I began thinking in a slightly different direction: Shooting with a rangefinder camera.

I've always wanted to shoot with a rangefinder but never managed to make that happen. (Probably because I've never owned one.) But hey! If a rangefinder was good enough for the likes of Henri Cartier-Bresson, it's good enough for me! And, in this digitally-obsessed world, there should be plenty of good deals on used rangefinders at places like Ebay.

I was right. Ebay is full of great deals on rangefinders. Much better deals, in fact, than you'll find there for contemporary digital cameras... except,of course, if you're looking at a rangefinder from Leica, analog or digital. Pricey!

Anyway, although Cartier-Bresson was a Leica guy, I don't feel like I have to go the more expensive Leica route to satisfy my rangefinder cravings. (Or, for that matter, most any other German producer of rangefinder cameras.) Instead, I began looking at alternative options. Fortunately, for my wallet, plenty of other (non-German) camera manufacturers, many of them Japanese, produced quality affordable rangefinder cameras: Canon, Nikon, Konica, Yashica, just to name a few.

Since I'm a Canon guy, I began researching Canon rangefinders. Also, since I started out my life-long interest in photography as a 12-year-old Yashica kid, I thought I'd give that manufacturer's goods a look-see as well. Here's what (I think) I've decided: I'm either going to buy a Yashica Electro GSN or a Canon Canonet QL17 GIII.

Both of these cameras are well-touted. They each have their pros and cons. The Yashica, for instance, is an auto-exposure camera with few manual overrides, i.e., no manual mode. The Canon is also an auto-exposure camera but with full manual operation available. Both cameras come with--according to every review I've read--some really awesome glass. The Canon was sold with a 40mm f/1.7 lens and the Yashica came with a 45mm f/1.7 lens. Both cameras offer automatic parallax correction, comes with hot shoes, and have leaf shutters. Generally, a "great condition" Yashica GSN is less expensive than a "great condition" Canon Canonet QL17 GIII. Both cameras are quite popular amongst rangefinder enthusiasts and have near cult followings. And both cameras, of course, are WAY LESS expensive alternatives to going the Leica/German route.

So that's where I'm at right now with this turning the digital clock back to analog thing. I don't have an appropriate scanner so the lab where I process the film will have to do the scanning. And yeah, that will cost a few bucks every time I want to play with my new toy. Or, maybe I'll keep a look-out (on Ebay) for a good film scanner? Who knows? When it comes to my decision to either buy the Yashica or the Canon, I might buy one of each. They're that cheap! I'll let you know how this thing develops and, hopefully, will be able to post some pics from my future, rangefinder endeavors.

The gratuitous pretty girl at the top is Roxy from some time ago. Roxy captured with a Canon 5D, 85mm prime, ISO 100 f/5.6 @ 125th.

P.S. I'm also thinking of buying a Holga. Again, just for grins.

17 comments:

Sheldon Photography said...

Welcome back to the dark side. There are great deals on all film cameras and glass. Last month I found a german made Leica 400 mm R lens for 380.00.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
I used to sell cameras back in the day of the one's you mention. I managed a camera store and sold the Canon while the Yashica was sold mostly in mass market stores. I also have a fairly large collection of film cameras.
In my opinion, looking for a rangefinder camera to use, I would strongly suggest the Canon over the Yashica. I have a couple of them and they still work fine. My Yashicas do not. However, I would also consider the Olympus if you can find one.
Good luck.
G Beetham

jimmyd said...

Thanks for the heads-up GB! I'll take your advice, altho I already have a bid on a Yashica-- fortunately, it's a $10 bid so either I'll get it for almost nothing or I'll be outbid. I'll take a look at the Olympus rangefinders. Is there a model in particular you'd recommend? I'd prefer one that can go both auto-exp and full manual, plus it needs to have a hot shoe. Is the glass in the Olympics something to crow about?

Anonymous said...

I used to shoot with the Canon, it was a great little camera. Now I only shoot film, if it is a large format. I am trying to develop my digital technique to mimic film results.

WillT said...

If you really get into this, Jimmy, take a look at a Voigtlander Bessa. They're much newer and better made but of course more money. Also, don't forget about Craigslist - some great bargains there, too.

You might enjoy reading this: First rangefinder and lens

Will

Anonymous said...

In my young experimental days I did some shooting with a Leica M4-P. My favorite place was an old graffiti covered mental hospital and film of choice was infrared B&W.

Unfortunately the hospital is gone and so is my Leica.

jimmyd said...

BigV: I guess I've arrived at my "old" experimental days. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
I don't remember a specific model of Olympus, only Olympus 35. I took a look at Ebay listings and there are some good deals.
Here's some of them I'd consider for good optics and generally good quality build.
Konica C35 (2.8 lens)
Minolta 7s (1.8 lens)
Rollei 35 (3.5 lens)
Konica auto s2 (1.8 lens)
All are on Ebay right now.
Hope this helps.
g beetham

siriusproductionsllc said...

Great post Jimmy.
I was recently cleaning out the family curio cabinet that is full of my old camera collection. Most of my cameras were handed down to me from my dad. He never had really expensive cameras (6 kids running around the house...) but I noticed the box for the Kodak disc camera. I opened the box and was surprised to see a fresh film pack in the box as well. Kodak Disc film (Official Sponsor of the 1988 Olympics!) Too bad it expired Mar. 1989! I would love to have shot it and tried to bring it to the local Walgreens for development. I can only imagine the look on the kids face?!?!?

jimmyd said...

Thanks for suggestions, GB. I'm already in an auction on a Canonet but, if it falls through, I might go with one of those... altho a Rollei is more money than I want to spend, leastwise, at this point with my rangefinder asprirations. After I get my feet wet with a (cheaper) rangefinder and assuming I continue getting bit by the rangefinder bug I'll probably want to upgrade.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, you will not regret either choice. I use both,The Canon QL17 III being the smallest. I also have a Bessa R that uses Leica screw lenses and has a built in meter and conventional loading

Steffen said...

I inherited a Cononet QL17. For the last couple of years, it has sat on a shelf in my office as a decorative relic... until tonight. Jimmy, you've inspired me to actually learn how to use the thing.

Steffen

steve prue said...

fun posts as always jimmy!

i've been running 669 polaroid thru my $175 Mamiya RB67 for the last month. woo-hoo!

neumero4te said...

Jimmy,

Ken Rockwell, who you've mentioned before, has been commenting on his site about a photo lab out there in CA somewhere that is offering what he says are excellent scans of slide film at a relatively cheap price. Don't know how it would be with the B&W, but could be something to look into. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm - 07OCT entry

Anonymous said...

Most likely you will have to send the camera to have a CLA, but other than that have fun :), I hope this will derive in a great side project :)!! there is a great thread at deviantart -from a great old school pretty girl shooter :) that also restores cameras- about vintage rangefinders: http://forum.deviantart.com/galleries/photography/806179/ :)

The photo is marvelous I love the movement that it has mixed with the pose and expression!! I love it!!!

Eduar

jimmyd said...

Thanks for the heads-up on that deviantart link, Eduardo. Excellent article!

GeoWulf said...

I too inherited a black canonet q17 Rangefinder.

It has been really fun to use.

I've worked out a pretty good system of developing the film. (or at least forcing myself to get it developed sooner than later.)