Tuesday, December 28, 2010

*The* Photography Story of 2010

I came across the fascinating story of Vivian Maier today. Forget about whatever cameras or other gear were released this past year or the many incredible photographs that were snapped. In my opinion, this is *the* photography story of 2010.

The story is equally fascinating from two perspectives: 1) the photographic life of Ms. Maier and 2) how her work was discovered and what is now being done with it.

Ms. Maier, deceased, was a nanny, a globe-trotter, and an apparently solitary and private person who also took pictures. Thousands and thousands of pictures on the streets of Chicago and elsewhere.

Maier is described by those whom she once cared for (as a nanny) as a Mary Poppins sort of character. What few people seemed to know about her was that she was also a photographer-- a lone photographer who did not seem interested in sharing her work and, in retrospect, who may have been one of the greatest, most gifted (albeit unknown) street photographers of the 20th century!

I know this site is mostly about glamour photography. And glamour photography is what I shoot most. But I'm a photographer first and a glamour photographer second and when I come across an amazing story like this, well I can't help but be inspired, fascinated, and motivated to share it.

Here's a video segment from a Chicago TV program called "Chicago Tonight." I think you'll be as amazed as I was watching it. You can also learn more about the photographer by visiting the Vivian Maier blog.



The gratuitous eye-candy at the top is Dana from last night's shoot. It's certainly not street photography altho the location house where I set up the seamless and my lights and photographed Dana is, after all, on a street.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Jimmy ,fascinating story. Worth a trip to Chicago. Love your work and appreciate all the time you put in to share with the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

From just the few images shown here I do believe that she should be included among the "greats" of street photography.

I wonder how many other unknowns are out there with the same passion as hers.

Rick D.

Mark said...

Jimmy, Glad you brought this story to our atttention. This womans work will stand with the great photographers of the century. I almost felt as though I was looking at an issue of Life magazine. Thanks again for sharing ...

Steve said...

Not always a fan of street photography. Some of her work is amazing! Makes you wonder what other undiscovered artists might be lurking out there.