Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Future of Digital Photography: Stephen Hawking Style

I once attempted reading Stephen Hawking's, "The Universe in a Nutshell." Well, there's nutshells and there's nutshells and the universe as a nutshell, as put forth by Hawking, the British theoretical physics guru, was beyond my abilities to comprehend. Color me stupid? Maybe.

In the same vein of stuff that's beyond my meager abilities to comprehend and understand, allow me to direct you to the Fluffytek Photography blog and one of it's author's attempts, in his latest update, to explain digital photography and where it's going in terms of quantised physics. (Quantized for us folks on this side of the pond.) Who would've thought a blog with the word "fluffy" in its title would contain so much serious science?

As an artform or a craft--depending on which label you prefer--photography conjoins science and art and, IMO, it's difficult to achieve competence as a creative photographer without understanding some of the science that drives it... coupled with some artistic sensibilities, of course.

Which is the more important of the two? To my way of thinking, the latter. But that doesn't mean photographers with little or no understanding of the scientific and/or technical elements of photography will be able to consistently capture their artistic visions, photographically, in memorable ways.

While I'm a big believer in renouned photographer, Andreas Feininger's, observation that, "A technically perfect photograph can be the world's most boring picture," I also believe technical competence plays a big role in achieving photographic perfection. (Assuming such a thing is achievable.)

But like nutshells and the universe, there is understanding the science of photography and there is understanding enough of the science of photography and, after reading this latest, Fluffytek update, I'm convinced it contains way more science than I need to keep shooting some half-way decent images of beautiful, sexy, young women. And I mean that in the nicest, most respectful, way.

The pretty girl pics I posted are of Aneesha and were captured in the studio with my Canon 5D w/ my trusty 85mm f/18 prime, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th. Mainlight courtesy of a Mola beauty dish.

1 comment:

Rich said...

Hiya, I'm glad you liked my post.
Thanks for the kind comments.
Take care.