Monday, February 11, 2008

Brain Fart or Epiphany?

I think I might be having an epiphany of sorts. If so, it's not one of those sudden, brilliant, burst-of-light epiphanies you hear about. It's more like a low-heat, quietly simmering, slowly-materializing epiphany. Picture the visual effect they use when someone or some thing is beamed aboard the Enterprise, but in slow-motion. In very slow-motion. That's what this feels like.

On the other hand, I could either be having a long and laborious brain fart or nothing more than a simple realization-- One that I should have had a long time ago.

Whatever it is, it's consuming my thoughts as I try to piece it all together. (Sometimes, epiphanies--like brain farts and simple realizations--are like jigsaw puzzles: Assembly may be required.)

Here's what, so far, I've epiphanized. (Is epiphanized a word? Probably not.)

I understand that people hire me for my skills. Nothing wrong with that. I pride myself in my skills. My skills were hard-earned and required years to develop. Skills are a good thing, right? And I think I possess some pretty decent skills. Considerable skills. Occasionally, impressive skills. If there's a pretty girl in need of sexy pics that glamourize her in technically skillful ways, I'm one of those "go-to" guys my clients often go to. My skills pay the bills. Not as well as they once did but they pay the bills nonetheless.

But, to take one's photography to the (overused term) next level, technical skills aren't enough. In fact, it might even be that too much focus and emphasis on technical skills holds one back from achieving more. I'm becoming more and more convinced of this as this, uh, whatever it is, continues materializing.

Ideas, imagination, and creativity are what pays much bigger dividends. Simply put, creativity trumps skills. Often, it trumps it in big BIG ways! A wildly creative photographer with half-ass technical skills has better odds of ascending to the Pantheon of photography's luminaries--or even half way up that hill--than a (simply) technically superior photographer has of doing so. Of course, if one can be both technically proficient and wildly imaginative, well....

Like I said, I'm still assimilating and processing this epiphany or whatever the heck it is. I'm sure this update seems very incomplete. I'll probably write more about it as this new way of looking at what I do, and how I approach and accomplish my work, becomes a bit clearer to me. (Assuming it becomes clearer.) I understand the notion of creativity trumping technical skills sounds simplistic and no-brainer. For many of you, it might seem like a concept that doesn't come close to qualifying as an epiphany. But, for me, someone who so often gets completely caught-up and overly-concerned with the process of capturing technically good images, it's not so simple. And it's ripping apart many of my egocentric perceptions about what I do photographically and how well I do it.

The blind-folded, cuffed-in-a-cage, pretty girl at the top is my friend, Kori Rae, from a couple of years ago.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are probably on to something very important in your creative life, and your creative marketing potential, too. I'd follow it.

This line of thought enters my head on occasion, and I learn from it, a little more each time.

It's usually after I've been looking at some technically gorgeous (but typical) photos taken by myself or other people -- some of whom are not pro photographers.

Then, when I see the not so perfect snaps shot more casually by someone like Leibovitz, and I'm blown away, it hits me.

What I've figured out is that--like the girl in the photo above--we're all shackled a bit. It's hard to break free of our mental restraints and limitations, expectations, etc. But little by little we can do it.

Wow, Jimmy! I'm excited to see how all this develops over time. I'm guessing you're future holds some incredible new photography.

Anonymous said...

I am reading a biography on Yousuf Karsh, a famous Canadian photographer. While I haven’t finished the book yet, what I learned in spades in reading this book is, 1) photograph the big names (Churchill, famous Hollywood types et al.,) and 2) get your pictures in front of VIPs. He was very deliberate in his strategy. Interestingly, his mentor Boston based John Garo, who possessed equal or better skills, died a pauper.

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Light-Shadow-Yousuf-Karsh/dp/0300136501/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202962174&sr=8-1

Sadly perhaps, technical skills rarely get you to the top. More often it is the softer, more elusive skills such as networking and getting in front of those who can make you bigger than you are yourself. Of course, you must be competent. Karsh was definitely competent—likely even great. The impression I get, though, from reading the book is that it was his ability and drive to network that propelled his career. Networking is something I fail miserably at as well.



From your blog, I see that you are already networking with the famous personalities in your business. And I know that you are pursuing a reality TV series. Again, more great networking moves.



Anyway, just thought I’d pass my comments along for your consideration.



Best regards,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

Your latest blog entry really strikes an uncomfortable chord inside me.

FYI - I made my living as a jazz musician for fifteen years. In the music world, we often separated the 'technicians' from the 'musicians'. Both will hit the right notes at the right time but the 'musicians' will fill those notes with emotional value and have the courage to strip themselves emotionally naked in front of strangers because the end product is worth it.

My greatest fear is that my lighting and composition won't make anyone puke but my pics just lay there. In other words, I will evolve into a technician not a photographer.

Your artist's heart is demanding to create and that creation might not be popular or pay bills. Technically, you're dead on and often you make your subject look far more glam then they deserve.

I sincerely believe your future is in shadows, not light. You need to toss all your tried and true setups and refuse to repeat what you've already done. This may not be what your clients want to pay for but you need to do it on your own time if need be to fill the void in your heart.

Look, I have absolutely no fucking business telling you about your photography, I am just learning this stuff (I've been shooting less than two years) but as a musician I can tell you that you're being called into a place all artists are eventually called to. Think of it as a creative walkabout but you need to do it.

Sincerely, I thank you for your feedback and your blog and your help but if I can repay you in any way it's this - take that walkabout, go to the most uncomfortable photographic places you can imagine and somehow you'll make it work. You'll find solutions that you never knew you could create because you've never had to.

As always, all the best to you. I look forward to your future work, it will impress us all but most importantly, you.

Bob

Lin said...

You've been reading Brooks Jensen, haven't you? If you haven't, then you should. He thinks like you do.

And Jimmy D...shooting bondage???
Good Lord, whatever next?!

Nicey said...

cool, keep on doing what you keep on doing !!

Anonymous said...

In the world of photography, I see two general types of people. The vast majority are technicians or craftsmen. They know the rules and the produce reasonably good work. The others are the visionaries, the artists. They can see what they want to do. They don't need rules, because they know what they want to do. Everything falls into place as the pursue their vision. That doesn't mean it's not a lot of work, but the result is well above the norm. The only time that I can accomplish that is by accident.

Anonymous said...

Just a very short heads-up on the epiphany thing: read (if you haven't already - hell, read it again if you have) "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" by Pirsig.

It takes a while to get to the point of _your_ epiphany, which is basically about QUALITY - not technical correctness (f-stop, focus etc) or artistic correctness (composition, balance, colours, etc) but about the gumption of the picture (thing/whatever you are creating).

It's my first post on your blog, but I've been worrying at this topic with two friends (an electronics engineer and an artist) for a few months (years?) now, so it struck a chord.

prairiefire said...

Without the high degree of technical proficiency you possess, you would not be able to go the the "next level".

To jump out of the box, you have to understand the box.

Now, a story to show you how old I am: When I was young, I used to watch the Jack Benny show with my father. My father was a renowned classical musician.

Benny would start every show with a terrible violingsolo. To most, he looked inept. My father knew better. He'd say, "Benny is really a great violinist. You have to be great to play, consistently out of tune."

To me, that means you have to really light well, to break the rules. And, you do.

Every year, in a newsletter I write, I print my New Year's resolutions for my photography. This year, I took a step on the path you've identified. I resolved to become a "lighting anarchist" -- to forget about the set ups I know and create new ones. I also wrote that I felt I was able to take this step because I finally felt I could "think like" or be a light.

As to the commercial side of jumping off the safe path -- another of the themes about which I write, often: if we want to be different, we have to make those differences a positive thing in the eyes of our clients. I'm sorry to say that many people have not had sufficient exposure to great photography to understand what is good and what isn't. That's our job. Yes, flat lit, high key, is popular, but deep and rich well placed shadows, things not all photographers can do -- there is depth and emotion in them and we just have to help our clients see that.

I truly applaud your new vision and wish you well on that path. May it prove rewarding in all ways.

Pogue said...

I would hazard to say that creativity has always been your edge, but that you have not exploited it effectively enough. I have been successful in sales for 15 years now and am still learning just how that success came about. I spent too much time dwelling on my inadequacies in my job and not enough time appreciating and learning from my successes. Maybe you are having your epiphany because deep inside you trust and respect yourself more than you ever have, and that is allowing you to focus more on what it is that sets you you apart, as opposed to that which could set you back, such as technical errors.