Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Disappearing Middle

Friday night, Leesa and I headed down to Redondo Beach, California, to meet with some aerial photographers, one of them being a friend of Leesa's. These photo-aviators were attending their annual, national conference at a hotel in the Redondo Beach marina.

While we sat and chatted in the hotel's bar, sipping drinks and talking about (what else?) photography, the group of airborne shooters we hung out with voiced many of the same concerns and frustrations as other groups of photographers regarding the current state of the professional photography business, make that the business of taking pictures for a living. (Many manufacturers and others who provide products and services to photographers are doing better than ever.)

One thing that sets these photographers somewhat apart from other groups of pro shooters is that they are, quite obviously, aviators FIRST and photographers a somewhat distant second. But still, issues regarding the recession and how it is effecting their photo biz (many of them make much of their livings shooting for property and land developers, architects, etc., not exactly booming businesses these days), the Quality Bar being lowered, shooters giving away content for free or at very low cost, and how the evolution of digital technology and low-cost/high-end image capturing devices has brought so many more shooters to the game. Issues of copyright assignment and licensing were also voiced.

One of the people we were socializing with said, "There's not much middle anymore. There's a small group of people shooting the really high-end, big-money stuff and there's everyone else getting pushed to the bottom of the photography pay scales."

Wow! That kind of says it all.

"Wait a minute," I objected, "The difference between you people and everyone else is, in addition to camera gear, you need an airplane and a pilot's license. That takes a lot of training and it costs quite a bit to purchase and maintain your aircraft. That has to cut down on competition."

Immediately, the pilot/shooter corrected me. "You don't understand," he said, "We're mostly people who already were pilots with airplanes. We figured out we can help pay for what we love doing (flying) by letting photography cover the costs of some of it."

I nodded, beginning to understand their concerns.

"The problem is," he continued, "Too many weekend pilots have figured this out and, since cameras are relatively cheap and no-brainer to use to capture fairly decent pictures, everyone with a small plane and a decent (small format) camera is suddenly an aerial photographer."

An unsettling aerial photography epiphany suddenly struck me.

The pilot continued: "Look at wedding photographers," he said. "Everyone's a wedding photographer now. Almost anyone getting married has a friend or a relative with a digital SLR and those photographers are willing to shoot their friends or relatives weddings for practically nothing. And photographers trying to break into wedding photography, often as a part-time/weekend business, think the best way to approach it is to practically give away their services just to get the experience. With the exception of people who want really high-end wedding photography, that's what's happening. The middle part of the business is vanishing. People who could once make a decent living shooting weddings are now faced with more competition than ever before and many of them are being pushed lower and lower with the rates they're able to charge."

I was beginning to become depressed. Make that, I was now completely depressed. If photographers as specialized as aerial photographers are getting clobbered with the same issues as most other photographers, where is it all going?

I wish I knew.

But wherever it's all going, it's not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings.

The gratuitous eye-candy at the top is Margo. I shot this image of Margo a few years ago. I lit her with a single-light source from above: A modified Mole-Richardson 1k "Baby" with a strobe fitted into it and the Baby's Fresnel lens intact.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

I had to commmiserate when I read this. I fly for a major airline and the problem has always been that there are an infinite number of guys that would give their left nut for the job and are willing to work for less.

Trade Unions and professional associations help, but their effectiveness varies. Otherwise it seems the same caveat always applies, exceed expectations and provide great service.

Sometimes, the laws of economics just plain suck.

Great work as usual and yeah, you consistently exceed my expectations too...

WillT said...

I see two troubling trends: one among consumers of photography and the other among the new digital generation of camera buyers. To be sure, the middle ground of consumers you wrote about have lost sight of what's acceptable quality (the dumbing-down effect), but what's more interesting is that a large percentage of this new digital generation want to learn how to do it right--or at least better.

Classroom and workshop instruction is on the rise--everything from lighting to Photoshop to posing--and Web instruction is huge. Your site is a perfect example. And let's not forget Strobist with it's legions of small light aficionados who are doing better and better work with each passing month. For my small part (and this is a shameless plug), just a couple of years ago I would have been the first to scoff at the idea of starting an educational blog about boudoir photography, but now I have readers.

My take on all this: The burgeoning prosumer class (those who are attending the classes and reading the blogs) will invariably raise the bar for that middle ground of consumers (good news because those consumers will learn to appreciate better work), but at the same time they will raise the bar for the professionals by continuing to charge nothing or very little (bad news because our work will have to be even better than it is now while while we continue to fight a downward pressure on prices). Being somewhere between a rock and a hard place comes to mind.

But as bad as that hard place is about to become, I don't think we'll wake up to a planet without professional photographers--especially those who continue to market aggressively and hone their craft.

Anonymous said...

Will's got a point. While there will be a market for "half grade" quality photos, it will just raise the bar for all others, driving the GOOD to be even better. In a way the rise in prosumers is good for the market, because demand fosters innovation.

Keep doing what you're doing, few can touch the quality of a good glamour photographer who knows his goods. The people that count (those who control the paychecks worth working for) know what they're looking for, and it's a lot more than what a prosumer/hobbyist/weekend photographer can offer.

markx said...

The transition from film to digital does change a lot of things. One is a huge reduction in penalty for mistakes. Instant retakes, shot gun shootings, etc. I think doctors would get paid a lot less than they are now if they can instantly review the result of their prescription, and just try another drug if the first one doesn't work.

Seems like photography is going the way of the ballet. Very few people at the top making good living, and the rest just teach.

Anonymous said...

In the 2 decades that I have been shooting professionally I have had to diversify in the subject matter that I shoot. I am making more than ever because of marketing (as Wilt talks about in his blog). In fact I have just significantly increased my pricing.

There are plenty of negatives to consider regarding bad, low budget photographers but I take an optimistic approach. I field far fewer calls from people looking for cheap photography. Since time is money, I am spending far less on phone calls that waist my time and money. My commercial, editorial, and private commission clients feel I am worth every dollar. When someone tells one of my clients "Dave, oh he's expensive." I am happy because I know I don't have to justify my price or deal with them at all.

I've done arial photography as demand required. My highest volume being in the 80s. Myself nor any of my personal colleagues were pilots. Not to insight a riot but I see pilots that want to make extra money by shooting arial photos as being in the same league everyone else that wants to jump on the photography bandwagon.