Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Stills Could'a Been Better

That's what I heard back from one of my customers/clients the other day, albeit I heard it second-hand. The subject-line quote is from the head of production from a company I recently shot for.

So here's the deal: Besides shrugging (due to the rhino-skin I've developed over a long period of time) my response is this: The stills could always be better.

Always.

But here's a couple of tips for those who sit in positions of authority over photographers or are in official positions to judge the snaps.

1. Define "better" because, frankly, I don't have a clue what that means. Better what? Better posing? Expression? Lighting? Exposure? Composition? Story? Environment? What??? (The photos certainly don't suck nor are they lackluster.)

2. Since "better" hasn't been defined, here's a few questions: "Should you have provided enough budget for an MUA?" How about, "Could you have provided enough budget to hire 'better' models?" (My version of "better" in regards to models would be prettier, hotter, more experienced, etc.)

3. Next time I shoot for you guys, since this was my first time with you, could you please offer me some direction or some ideas of what you look for in the stills? That could be as simple as showing me pics (by other shooters you've hired) you think are "better." I should note that I was also the video shooter on this particular production and, apparently, my video work was "better" or, at least, good enough and met expectations.

All this doesn't mean I'm absolving myself of responsibility for snapping pics that do not meet the customer's expectations.

I do, however, believe I know a good picture when I see one and I think the pics I provided were "better" than many of the pics--most all of them, in fact--I found on the web and that your company has has used for marketing your products... leastwise, from a purely photographic point-of-view. I am, of course, somewhat biased in this opinion.

The pretty girl at the top is another of Penthouse Pet, Shawna Lenee. It is NOT from the pics that are the subject of this update. The image is from a set during the first time I shot with Shawna. (Last August or September.) MUA was MaryAnne. LeesaJ assisted. You might notice that, in this pic, I've demonstrated that a well-placed fan can be used for other purposes, i.e., other than blowing the model's hair.

(Note: I didn't post a pic from the sets in question because that would require me to A) Go out to my car where the laptop (which currently and temporarily is storing those pics) happens to be at the moment; B) It's freaking raining out there; and C) I really don't feel like getting off my ass, getting dressed, getting wet, picking a pic, moving that pic to another computer (my laptop doesn't have image processing software installed) and processing the image. Sorry. I'll try to do "better" next time.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe...maybe you'd do 'better' if they paid 'better'?

I love this post. Check that, I have lived this post.

We're all trying to get better, aren't we? Perhaps the person with the insight as to what better looks like will start a blog that all of us can aspire to.

No, that would mean that he/she would be exposed to the opinions of others. No, cowards seldom do that...

Sheldon Photography said...

Its the type of comment often seen on forums lacking direction of what or how to improve the image.

Focus, color, contrast, framing, depth of field, or whatever may have been wrong with it, was never stated how it could have been improved. Obviously this commenter was not a very technical person to be in such a powerful position. He must have gotten his degree from one of those online universities.

jimmyd said...

@Willie, yeah, the cyber-school of hard knocks.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that....

Anonymous said...

Unless that person is a frustrated photographer that thinks HE could have done better, it's not likely he meant lighting, composition, etc.

More likely, that person didn't think the pictures were communicating the "feel" he thought they should have, whatever that was.

Asking for what you could have done differently, you probably would've gotten an answer like, "I don't know, just something 'better'."

jimmyd said...

@Ed, A Diane Arbus quote comes to mind: I never have taken a picture I've intended. They're always better or worse. - Diane Arbus