Sunday, July 08, 2007

Great Comments!

This past Tuesday's and Thursday's posts, Who Lowered the Bar? and Everyday People, Everyday Photography? were both aimed at the same subject matter and both elicited quite a few responses in their respective "Comments" sections.

I'm not trying to turn this blog into a forum and I equally enjoy the comments whether they agree with my point-of-view of not. If you haven't read the comments for these posts, you might also find them quite interesting. This whole Art v. Technical Skills thing seems to stimulate a fair amount of thought amongst photographers.

Personally, and I mentioned this in one of my responses to a reader's comment, I don't think art and technical skills should be, somehow, oppositional or at odds with each other. I think the mark of great photography is when these two sets of abilities work harmoniously with each other, not at the exclusion of each other.

The pretty girl at the top is Veronica. I shot Veronica a few weeks ago and thought I'd get mildly artsy with it in post, going monochrome with the image and adding noise in an attempt (probably not very successful) to give a retro, girlie pulp-mag, feel to it... sort of like a print made from a frame from an old, 8mm, blue movie, loop.

No comments: