Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Missed Annivesary

When I was married, I was a habitual forgetter: I'd forget wedding anniversaries, birthdays, and most other dates that, it seems to me, are usually far more important to women than to men. (Leastwise, this man.) My habitual case of forgetter syndrome might, to some extent, explain why I'm no longer married. At the very least, it probably contributed to the relationship's demise.

"Obviously, the things that are important to me aren't that important to you," my ex-wife would often say. Actually, when she felt compelled to voice those sentiments, she didn't say it quite that nicely. She also made that observation to explain many things about me that sorely and continually annoyed her.

All that aside, I've just realized I forgot about the first anniversary of this blog. (Missed it by two weeks.) Not that it's an important or memorable date to remember (like certain anniversaries and such) but, for anyone who keeps track of these things, the first anniversary of my Pretty Girl Shooter blog came and went on July 4th.

Wow! It's been over a year since I started writing this blog! I'm rather self-impressed that I've exhibited such, uhhh... perseverance.

Feeling a bit nostalgic, I took a look at my first PGS blog entry. I suppose I thought a small reminder of why I began writing this thing wouldn't hurt. For those of you who are partial to trivial and unimportant stats, I've posted 248 updates (not counting this one) since I began authoring this blog.

In my initial entry, I attempted to communicate my reasons for embarking on this blog-writing journey: Having too much excess time on my hands was my #1 listed reason for doing this. What that really meant was this: Since, as many people do, I had some extra time on my hands, and since I'm not much of a TV-addicted, couch potato, plus I was already and routinely spending a fair amount of my excess time commenting on various photography forums, it seemed to make more sense to write what I had to say about photography on something more personal, more mine, than a public or membership forum.

In the back of my head, I've kept at this blog thinking I could do something with my writing. I've thought the start of a book on glamour photography, the basis for some articles for photo magazines, or something else could lie hidden within the confines of this blog. To date, none of that has happened. I haven't tried to assemble my many blog entries into something cohesive that might provide the beginnings of a book. I've yet to submit anything, not even a query letter, to magazines. But I'm still hopeful something will evolve out of this. That's why I'll keep updating about the craft of pretty girl shooting and keep thinking that something--other than the personal satisfaction and enjoyment I derive from writing about this stuff--will eventually reveal itself.

BTW, it wasn't until my sixth blog entry, Studio Glamour Lighting 101, that I posted an image. FWIW, the pic below is the first image I posted to the Pretty Girl Shooter blog. It's a behind-the-scenes, instructionally-intended, shot of model Nikita Lea. Nikki has been featured in more than a few pretty girl magazines and websites.

glamour, photography, photographer, models, modeling,  glamor

7 comments:

Lin said...

A belated happy Anniversary!
I can't pretend I've understood some of your more highly technical posts, but I've nevertheless really enjoyed your blog :-)

WillT said...

Happy anniversary, JimmyD.

Like so many others, I've read and enjoyed each post, so I am delighted to hear that you'll be continuing.

As for other things revealing themselves to you, ask and you shall receive.

Best of luck,

Will

Anonymous said...

Hope you continue for another year. One of the four photo blogs a check daily.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Jimmy

On this joyous occassion I'd like to take some time to thank you for all of the info that you provide us mere mortals. I don't want to sound too much like a kiss ass, but your photographs are works of art. I pretty much follow you around from different boards because I've found that your info is sane (well most of the time), logical and always informative.

I've probably learned more from you than from anyone else. I study each photograph you post carefully and try I try to emulate what you have done. I'm amazed how smooth and creamy your lighting is. I haven't gotten there yet but I think I'm getting close. You could say that your my mentor without you knowing it.

You really should think about writing a book, your style of writing is really straight forward with a little sense of humor. You're really good at simplifying and making dull topics fun and informative.


Best of luck JimmyD

James Howard said...

Great blog!

Would it be okay to suggest a tweak to light set-up shots like these?

How about taking a photo with each light source being turned on one-by-one? This way the viewer could see the effect each light has on the form of the model?

jimmyd said...

Would it be okay to suggest a tweak to light set-up shots like these?

How about taking a photo with each light source being turned on one-by-one? This way the viewer could see the effect each light has on the form of the model?


Suggestions are always welcome! At least until my pending application to the I.A.M.K.I.A. (International Association of Mister Know-It-Alls) has yet to be approved.

When I'm able, I'll try to do just what you suggest. Problem is I'm usually shooting on someone else's dime and they're always telling me crap like "time is money." Of course, they're only concerned about their time or the time they're paying me for. But I will try, when I can, do do something like that.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jimmy, I've learned from your blog. There are SO many words out here on the internet, but few of them carry the weight that yours does for me.

I'm looking forward to reading your tenth anniversary blog entry.

Bob from Fresno