Friday, October 12, 2007

The Incredibly Versatile Strip Box


I love strip boxes! They're so versatile. Not only do they provide a narrow, somewhat-controlled, soft source, but they're adaptable to various situations and can be used in either a vertical or horizontal position.

The image of Tera Patrick (above) is an example of using a strip box in a horizontal position. In fact, all I did was lay the box on the floor, on its side, in front of Tera. Below is a behind-the-scenes shot (courtesy of Leesa) showing its position.



As you can see, it's simple yet effective. I also positioned a Westcott reflector, gold side out, above and behind her for a bit of warm fill. A second light source, with a 30-degree grid affixed to its front, performs double-duty as a hair light and an accent light-- I let a bit of it spill on her cute derrière.

So next time you're using a strip box, remember that you can rotate it on your speed ring to vertical as well as horizontal positions... and everything in between. Or, just lay it on the floor if you're looking for a very low and wide source. (Hint: Think making highlights when lighting a car or a motorcycle.)

Tera captured with Canon 5D w/85mm prime, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125. Makeup and hair by Ricardo Ferrise. Assistant: Leesa J.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have rotated my strip box on many occasions but I have never thought to put in on the floor.....I'm going to try that soon.
Thanks for sharing.

Fox

David Griffin said...

Jimmy,
By far this is a helluva post! You even did us love by showing us the lighting setup! Keep Shootin Jim! Get that damn DVD ready so I can learn how to arrange, setup and shoot for glamour and make some phat money!