Tuesday, October 02, 2007

TV Show Update

Made it to the next step!

I spent three or four days working on the written treatment for the reality TV show I mentioned in an earlier post.

Finally, after way too many hours tweaking the freakin' thing, I had it where I thought it worked. On Sunday, I sent it off to the agent. He called early this morning and told me he thought the treatment worked great, that it spelled out the show perfectly, and that he was going to start making phone calls and setting up "pitch" meetings.

None of this, of course, means squat in the higher order of the REALLY important stuff related to getting this show produced but there's no way it gets produced if the first steps (with the agent) hadn't been successful.

Peter, the agent/manager representing the show, first plans to take it to Showtime, and then to Bravo and Spike. Leesa, my co-collaborator on this project, observed that Peter wants to first take it to Showtime because, if it were to be produced by Showtime, the show could have a harder "edge." Well, she didn't exactly say it that way. What she said (with her really cute Kentucky twang) was, "Ya know why he's takin' it to Showtime-- Cuz they can show titties."

Leesa has a way of cutting directly to the chase with her words. She's very astute and mostly on-the-money with her observations. She figures this kind of stuff out without batting an eyelash and presents it in a way that leaves no doubt what she's saying. Eventually, I would have came to the same conclusion. But doing so would require me to have one of those epiphanies and, more than likely, I wouldn't have had the required epiphany for a day or two. Epiphanies, unfortunately, don't come easy to me. But thoughts that qualify as epiphanies for me are simply casual observations for Leesa. I envy her ability to do that but she just shrugs it off. I guess that's just how she rolls.

I still don't feel comfortable saying much about the show. (Publicly, that is.) After it's pitched, though, I'll be more forthcoming in what it's all about. For now, I'll only repeat what I've already said before: It's about photography and photographers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cue assorted events of begging, pleading, sucking-up and demonstrations of loose morals and self-degradation in an attempt to get on your show in 3... 2... 1...

Very nice Showtime-appropriate pretty girl pic.

(Can I be on your show, pleeeaase?)

Seriously, every time I see a shot like that, I get the urge to try to find a new spin on the classic "topless woman in jeans" and do an entire series, but I have been running short on epiphanies myself lately.

WillT said...

JimmyD wrote:
"...but there's no way it gets produced if the first steps (with the agent) hadn't been successful."

Indeed, first steps are so important, and you took them! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

JimmyD I'd get cable just to watch your show.