Thursday, December 06, 2007

Are You in the Holiday Spirit Yet?


Me neither.

But I have an idea to help overcome the Yuletide doldrums: I'm going to put myself at the top of my holiday buying list!

That's right. I'm going to relegate all those other people--the ones I need to buy gifts for--to second-class citizens and take care of myself first. Well, except for my kids and grand-kids and, uhhh... some others who are really special to me. But first and foremost, I'm putting myself right up there... with them!

Is that so horrible and Scrooge-like?

I'm not advocating forgetting about all those other family, friends, and others I need to show some holiday love towards. And what better and traditional way to show them that love then with some festively-wrapped bobble or trinket (they don't really need) that says, "Happy Holidays!"

Let's face it, the late Mother Theresa aside, we're all selfish. (Some of us more than others.) But why don't we just face that fact and splurge on ourselves? Trust me, we'll be happier doing so even if certain others might not share in our self-serving joy.

With that in mind, here's my holiday-gift (for me) wish-list:

Canon 135 f/2 "L" prime lens.

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS "L" zoom lens.

Some portable lighting, e.g., Porty, Vagabond, whatever.

There's a very good chance I won't be able to afford any of these items, leastwise not comfortably afford. But that's what I want Santa to bring me. And since I'm the Santa, I'm thinking hard how I can make my holiday a happier one.

The image at the top features Tera Patrick being shot by me while being shot by Leesa. The images of Tera were for some Tera Patrick Yule tree ornaments and, I suppose, for other holiday uses. I used a large Octodome for my key light, a medium Chimera strip and a small umbrella (that you can't see) for back/edge lights, and a Westcott 5-in-1 reflector (silver or white-side out, I can't remember which) for a bit of fill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go with the 70-200. It kicks a$$ and covers the 135 range, albeit a stop slower. But seriously...how often are you going to shoot at f/2? I have the non-IS version, and it's the most amazing piece of camera gear I've ever owned. Simply perfect.

Lin said...

Good philosophy to overome the Christmas blues....I shall have to try it!

Not that you should be having Christmas blues of course, what with Tera Patrick AND Leesa. You do have most men's dream-come-true-life, you realise that? Yuletide doldrums are NOT allowed.

Anonymous said...

Why JimmyD, you don't already have a Vagabond? I'm shocked and stunned. I figured that you would have had one, as much traveling as you do. The new ones have just come out with a new inverter, so it might be a good idea to wait just a little while to see if any bugs turn up. I got one in September and the inverter died the first time that I used it. One phone call later a replacement was on the way, no hassle whatsoever.

jimmyd said...

Brian-- there's more to a prime lens, especially this one, than it being a tad faster.

Photoboy61 said...

Let us not forget, that there are people in the California area who lost everything during the wildfires. As much as we would like to be thinking of all the hi tech goodies, let's be thankful for what we have. Maybe take a buck or two that you would spend on yourself and give it to someone who has lost everything. Christmas is about giving. Happy Holidays everyone!