Friday, December 12, 2008

Is the Party Over for Gear Manufacturers?

You probably don't need me to tell you this but photography can be a fairly expensive habit endeavor. If you're making all or part of your living snapping pictures, the money you spend on gear is a cost of doing business. If you're pursuing photography as a hobby, and depending on how hard you've been bit, it can put a sizable dent in your discretionary funds: Real funds or imaginary funds... make that plastic funds, aka, your credit cards.

As the economy continues to go into the toilet, I wonder how many photo-hobbyists (i.e., those people who make up the largest group of photo-gear consumers) will continue spending at the rate they've been spending on the latest-and-greatest camera or strobe or editing software manufacturers continue releasing into the marketplace? Have we reached, or are we near reaching, a saturation point where people simply decide to make do with what they've already accumulated in their camera bags or installed on their computers?

Much the way many folks engage in frivolous spending practices when times are good, tough times usually result in more frugal purchasing decisions. If the news media is correct and the economic forecasts they continue dwelling on is on-the-money, a lot of people are going to think twice before they plunk down five-hundred or a thousand or a few thousand on whatever new dSLR camera body Canon or Nikon comes out with. (I'm talking, of course, about all those pro-capable cameras for the masses.)

Instead, I think many shooters, if they haven't already figured it out, are going to realize that making good pictures isn't so much about the gear that's used, it's mostly about how that gear is used. I know that kind of thinking flies in the face of the majority of the marketing and advertising these manufacturers throw at us, but that's a fact... Jack.

The eye-candy at the top is the Goddess of Glam, Tera Patrick, from about a year or so ago.

6 comments:

WillT said...

"...a they're going to start realizing that making good pictures isn't so much about the gear that's used..."

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I regret my last two upgrade purchases. Fortunately, I finally came to my senses and stopped.

For what it's worth, the original Canon 1Ds did everything I need a camera to do for my type of shooting. Any improvement in my work since has been based on the interpersonal skills I've written about on my blog.

MauiPhoto said...

I'm already at that point, and it's twice as hard because I shoot both photo AND video for weddings, and have to deal with 2 sets of gear (and backups for both). I've also had to pass on upgrading my 7 year old computers as well.

Anonymous said...

I would love to upgrade to the 5D Mark II for the ISO range but do I really need to shoot at 24 megapixel? I don't think so. You only need 5 to get published!

2008 was tough enough, I hope 2009 goes a little easier on us all.

Anonymous said...

I have been past the point of saturation as far as software is concerned. I see no need to continuously upgrade anything but my knowledge of the tools i currently possess. This keeping up with the "Jones'" of photographic technology won't stop until consumers put their foot down and not purchase that next incremental upgrade.

Lin said...

Make do and Mend: The New Thrift. Definitely. Photographs can be stunning with the cheapest equipment. All it takes is a good photographer (all!)

HCoyote said...

I wonder if we're at the point where we see the hobbyists coming up with cheaper solutions that work just as good as (or better than) the commercial stuff AND looks less and less like DYI. There's a whole community of makers out there that do nothing but tinker with open tools and technology. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

One of my friends has resorted to casting his own aluminum speedrings because he can't bring himself to purchase one when he's got the forge and a tank of propane.