Monday, December 29, 2008

Pretty Girl Shooting as Entertainment

For most guys, viewing images of beautiful, sexy, alluring models is entertainment. For that matter, there's plenty of women who enjoy doing the same thing, although for (probably) different reasons. But many women, like their male counterparts, are also entertained by checking out pics of hunky, sexy, men... often, for the same reasons!

The church ladies, of course, don't approve. They would rather we all satisfy our entertainment needs with content like THIS. But that's not the way much of the world works. Leastwise, my world (and possibly yours) doesn't work that way.

When it comes to experiencing entertainment beyond the purely visual sense, the church ladies would much rather have you go HERE than to some other location for the purpose of, as an example, making your own pictures of beautiful, sexy, alluring models. While it's true the church ladies' suggestions for a good time can actually be a good time, that fact doesn't discount the joys and entertainment-value of shooting pretty girl pics. Different strokes and all that.

Yeah, yeah... I know. You're all serious photographers and you're only shooting (or hoping to shoot) gorgeous models as an outlet for your artistic expression and not for personal entertainment.

Photographers please! This is you pal, Jimmy, you're speaking to, not your wife, significant other, mother, or co-worker.

There's nothing wrong with having a hobby or an avocation that's fun, exciting, stimulating, and rewarding. And photographing beautiful women, especially from most guys' perspectives, certainly qualifies as all those things and more. In other words, it qualifies as entertainment: Guiltless entertainment that includes close interaction with beautiful, sexy, women yet doesn't necessarily result in a trip to a divorce attorney or spending unnecessary time looking for a replacement for your (suddenly missing) significant other!

"Honey! I'm thinking of attending a photography workshop."

"What kind of photography workshop?" she asks.

"Oh, you know, one where there's all kinds of hot chicks parading around in front of my camera wearing little or nothing and posing in very sexy ways in response to my commands direction."

Whoa! Hold on a minute! That ain't the right answer! The right answer sounds more like this: "Honey! You know how important my photography is to me. It's my creative outlet! It's part of who I am... creatively and aesthetically. I'm only attending for the learning and the opportunity to enhance my skills. I'm going there to commune with other photographers... people with similar interests as mine. It's all about developing and improving my game... my photography game."

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying pretty girls shooters aren't serious photographers, leastwise, many of them are. And I'm not saying its practitioners aren't (also) engaging in acts of artistic expression. I'm just saying that shooting stunning, sexy, barely-dressed or undressed women can appeal to photographers in many ways that photographing, as an example, a beautiful sunset might not satisfy or excite. In other words, I'm just saying.

All this is why, when I finally begin hosting workshops, I'm going to work hard to make my workshops entertainment experiences for those who attend. That's not to say they won't include learning and communing and skills development. They will. But I'm not going to pretend that the aforementioned elements are the only reasons photographers attend these workshops. They also attend pretty girl shooting workshops for their entertainment value. Church ladies aside, what's wrong with that?

The pretty girl at the top is yet another model whose name I cannot recall. (I hate getting old.) But I do recall that photographing her was fun and quite entertaining.

15 comments:

HCoyote said...

Hehe. I count myself lucky in that my wife fully supports me in my photography. She doesn't mind if there's a pretty girl in the photo or not.

Anonymous said...

My wife even assists....in the photography that is. Makes some pretty good posing suggestions also with the advantage that the model doesn't think I'm just a dirty old man for asking her to pose like that.

MarcWPhoto said...

I have just sent you the first deposit on a place in a PGS Workshop. There. Now you HAVE to do it, and I can say I was the first one to sign up.

M

Jeremy Shaw said...

I expect you will do well. It's clear that you understand the target audience and feel that they deserve the best value you can deliver. Henry Ford once said,

"A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large."

Tons of pro photographers are wasting their days bitching on forums about how the cheap, high performance, auto-everything cameras and GWCs are killing them off. But, no one is going to uninvent the digital camera -- so the only thing to do is reinvent yourself.

With your DVD course, you have the potential to make money while you sleep, and the flexibility to shoot the things you want to shoot, not just what some client wants.

With multiple DVDs, workshops, and a paid continuity program (members only critic forum, monthly newsletter with video clips, etc), you should have no problem creating happy customers who pay you hundreds (or thousands) a year, and who can't wait for you to make more stuff for them to buy. After all, you *already* have people sending you money for workshops with out you even asking ;)

jimmyd said...

@MarcW-- Oh boy. Now there's "consideration" on the line. Guess I'm gonna have to really get off my ass with this. Thanks for the motivation!

@Jeremy-- You make it sound... so perfectly and rewardingly do-able. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I am SO ready for your workshop! Get off your a$$ and take my money! (Oh and entertain me with beautiful models and great lighting).

Bob

Sheldon Photography said...

Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake came from Disney.

INHO all three of them have been good at showing the skin.

Lin said...

Rich is after a cinematography workshop, so please can you kindly pop that on your "to do" list as well :-)

Happy New Year Jimmy!

markx said...

To me, photography is purely entertainment. I admit that I'm creatively challenged, to say the least. Therefore I'm not going to pretend that I can produce creative work everybody want to look at. Heck, I don't even like slaving in Photoshop for hours just to get a "creative" image. I'd rather have a good time at the shoot, and post the image to let everyone know that I had a good time at the session. If someone thinks my work is boring? That's fine with me.

monkeykoder said...

@Markx

If you enjoy doing it long enough the results will come.

Anonymous said...

Didn't where else to post this but, cool exhibition at Lacma, history of photography, with prints going back 150 years, and a retrospective of images from Vanity Fair, back to beginning in the 20's. All for 7 bucks parking and 12 dollar admission.

Jon

http://www.lacma.org/

jimmyd said...

@Jon-- Thanks for the heads-up! I'm gonna try my best to make it down there. Looks great! I put something up about it on my other blog, http://ishootist.blogspot.com

WillT said...

Photographers please! This is you pal, Jimmy, you're speaking to, not your wife..."

LOL

And congratulations on winning Best Overall Photographic Nude Blog!

Anonymous said...

So when's the workshop? :)

Dave Rudin said...

I was at an art nude workshop once and one of the participants said he told his wife that he was going to a "nature photography" workshop - which, in a way, I suppose it was.