Monday, December 22, 2008

What? A Landscape???

You're probably wondering what the heck a picture of a tree with some mountains and clouds in the background are doing on this pretty girl shooting blog? Well, it's a pic I snapped with the little Canon rangefinder I purchased off of Ebay last month.

I did take a few pretty girl pics with it but they are seriously flared-over. You see, I was shooting a model and I whipped out the little rangefinder and snapped a few with it. But the 40mm lens on the rangefinder doesn't have any sort of lens shade so the accent lights that I had set behind the model flared the crap out of the images-- So much so they are messed up beyond repair and beyond viewing. Oh well. What was I thinking?

The camera seems to be operating properly. I had the film processed at WalMart. (The particular B&W film I used uses C-41 processing so it can be developed in the same chemicals as color print film.) Along with the prints, WalMart also includes a CD of the images. But the scans are very low resolution. In other words, they suck. But that's okay. All I wanted to do with this first roll was determine the camera was operating properly... which, apparently, it is.

Here's a headshot of Sophia from this past year and shot with a Canon 5D. Didn't want to post an update without any sort of pretty girl pic included. I'm real considerate that way.

5 comments:

Sheldon Photography said...

With your new film camera, you can purchase a cheap dark room outfit total for 200.00 with an enlarger. The C-41 BW seems to always have a purplish or almost sepia look to them in my experience. Maybe it depends on whoever is developing the images.

Thanks again for the Fresnel information. I agree too electricity and water do not mix. LOL. Maybe you could do a pretty girl shot with fresnels, but shot with the rangefinder?

BlankPhotog said...

Nice! I pick up film cameras now and again, and really enjoy that C-41 film. It has a lot more depth than you'd expect from mass-market b/w.

Anonymous said...

That shot of Sophia is killer. Just beautiful.

The trees are nice, too. (Didn't want to hurt your feelings).

:)~

Lin said...

Of course, I'm not qualified to judge whether these are artistic or not, but I do like both shots. IMO, you should show more of your landscapes (because I like them!)

Have a Good Christmas Jimmy!

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
If you really like using the Canonet 1.7, keep your eyes out for a lens shade on Ebay or Craigslist. Canon made one specifically for the Canonet. It clipped on with a small friction clamp and it had a rear cutout so as not to block the rangefinder view.

g beetham