Saturday, December 06, 2008

Provoking Models

This is gonna be more of a food-for-thought post rather than a how-to update.

December, 2008, marks the 100th Anniversary of the birth of famed photo-portraitist, Yousuf Karsh. The tale of how Karsh captured his most famous portrait, that of a scowling, defiant, Winston Churchill, seeds my thoughts for this update.

Karsh, as the story goes, was given two minutes to photograph Churchill who, it's also told, wasn't too interested in being photographed at the time. Churchill sat in a chair where Karsh's lights were focused, a scowl on his face and a cigar clenched between his teeth. Karsh, although rather intimidated by the larger-than-life British Prime Minister, plucked the cigar out of Churchill's mouth. Churchill was now decidedly annoyed. He leaned forward, his expression projecting resolute disapproval. Karsh snapped the shutter. The rest his history. This portrait of a glowering, defiant, Churchill went on to become, according to many, the most reproduced photograph in history. The emotions portrayed by Churchill, at the moment Karsh pressed the shutter, became a world-wide symbol for defiance to the aggressions of Nazi Germany.

Whew! Heady stuff!

What's this got to do with pretty girl shooting? In my mind, plenty.

One reason I don't shoot art nudes is because, so often, the images seem nearly void of emotion and attitude. Leastwise, emotion and attitude expressed by the subject's face and eyes, unless you consider that far-off look as emotion. Instead, the subjects are most-often photographed as if they are beautiful, classical, sculptures. Expression takes a back-of-the-bus seat to things like lighting, symmetry, visual drama, and composition. Emotions and attitudes portrayed by expression seem to be the last thing on many art-nude photographers' minds.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the aesthetics of many art-nude images I've viewed, I do, but in my pretty girl shooting visions emotion and attitude are everything. Well, maybe not everything, but they're at the top of my list. Sure, it's always nice to see a killer body portrayed in a beautifully photographed image, made even more enticing by expert makeup and hair, a cool location, and thoughtfully-controlled lighting and interesting composition. But the icing on the cake, for me at least, is the expressions on the models' faces coupled with the pose: Those sensual revelations in their eyes and glimpses into their private places where their yearnings and desires are revealed, reinforced by how they present their bodies. Yep. that's the stuff that inspires me: Emotions revealed by expression, coupled with pose, and further enhanced by the things I do, as a photographer, and the skills applied by MUAs and others.

Many models have a hard time revealing their emotions. Sure, they sometimes have their tried-and-proven expressions in their modeling bag-of-tricks but, for me, I want more than what they've given to all those other shooters. To get that--which I'm not always so successful at doing--I often feel I have to provoke the model into giving it to me.

I've yet to have a model show up with a cigar clenched between her teeth. And my way of (hopefully) getting at her emotional expressions is a bit more subtle than plucking something out of her mouth. Mostly, for the sorts of pretty girl pics my clients are looking for, the emotional range they hope to see is of a carnal and sensual nature. They don't want to see hope, despair, and all that kind of emotional stuff. (Unless they're expressing hope that some primal, physical desires are about to be satisfied.) My clients want to see yearning and desire and seductive, come hither, lust on the faces of the models. To get that, i.e., to get more of that than the model usually puts out or routinely puts out, I sometimes resort to verbal and other forms of provocation. No, I don't lubricate their brains with booze or drugs. I don't get flirty with them. Nor do I have someone fluff them in hopes of seeing a bit more arousal in their eyes and expressions. But I do sometimes engage in suggestive mind games designed to achieve the desired results.

I can't tell you what to say or do to get at these emotions, i.e., what mind games to play. (Although certain mood enhancers, like the "right" music or other atmospheric effects, certainly help.) But I do know that, as photographers of beautiful, sensuous, women, we need to connect with our models--and connect with them in some earthy-yet-positive ways--to get these results. I should, however, caution you: It's a fine line you'll walk when attempting this connection. The last thing you want is for them to think you're hitting on them or being pervy.

I don't think I've ever had a model perceive that I was coming on to her. Besides, that wouldn't get the results I'm looking for anyway. And I've never provoked with physical contact. It's all, as I already mentioned, a mind game. My job, besides setting lights and focusing a camera, is to help them engage in an internal journey where the thoughts and feelings and memories they encounter are written on their faces and revealed as spontaneous emotions and attitudes. Don't know how many of you will understand this, but think of it as Method modeling. You'll better understand the term if you have some knowledge of the acting technique called Method acting. I wish I could be 100% effective when I do this. Hell, I wish I could be 50% effective. But my failures are rarely for lack of trying.

The pretty girl at the top is Katarina. I've posted this image before. It's one of my faves. When shooting Kat, I asked her to remember (and animate with expression and pose) the wildest and craziest sex she's ever had. Her first few attempts at revealing this memory weren't, for me, too successful. Maybe she's simply had way too many wild and crazy sexual experiences in her life? She was, after all, a circus performer before stripping off her clothes in front of cameras. Regardless, I kept shaking my head, acting frustrated and nearly shouting at her with things like, "No! Bullshit! C'mon! That's not the wildest you've ever had!" Finally, she gave me the image above.

5 comments:

marlowned said...

Insightful post. I agree with you that expression is everything in a portrait with a person in it.

Lin said...

One word: Ouch.

Expression takes a back-of-the-bus seat to things like lighting, symmetry, visual drama, and composition. Emotions and attitudes portrayed by expression seem to be the last thing on many art-nude photographers' minds.

To some extent, that's the whole point. However it depends what you mean by "expression," and also on the original objective of the photograph. Classic art nude is not about an emotional connection with the individual, it is about lighting and form, the beauty of the perfect woman, a goddess, etheral. That's still "expression," just a different definition of it.

My clients want to see yearning and desire and seductive, come hither, lust

Yes, I agree, but are those "emotions" you bring out really genuine emotion, or to some extent play-acting? Are you bringing out their real internal personality (as with Churchill's portrait) or is it partially contrived?

When I do nude portraits, I do "act" as you describe. I conjure up an emotion, an expression for the camera, because that is what the photographer is asking for. The emotion I conjure up is indeed method-acting. The result might be pretty (oh I wish), but it's not really me and therefore not a true portrait, nor a true representation of me as who I really am.

jimmyd said...

@Lin-- First, this post wasn't meant to be derogatory to art nude shooters. I was using the differences between art nude photography and the stuff I shoot as examples. I probly should have wrote "facial expression" with the "back of the bus" remark. I do understand that art nude, for the most part, is not about emotional connections with the models. That's my point, leastwise in terms of why I'm personally less interested in shooting that genre. As far as "genuine emotions," I do try to bring out something close to genuine emotions but there's certainly varying amounts of "contrived" stuff going on... that's why "acting" is called "acting." I'm also pretty sure art nude models conjure emotions when posing but I don't think art nude shooters are overly interested in portraying them, i.e., portraying emotions is not a priority as it often is with portraitists and, well, and pretty girl shooters.

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt in my mind that all aspects of photography are 105% psychological (maybe except for landscape).

In ANY shot you're shooting to cause a reaction in the viewer, that goes for any art, but in photography you can really connect to a model and get her to project / act / expose an element of her personality. I find that people skills matter more than any other because if the model engages the camera (and the viewers) then they will forgive (to a point) any minor mistakes on posing and lighting because what they see on the model's face is beautiful (and real).

Just my 2 cents...which is worth one in this new economy.

Steffen said...

Great post, Jimmy. Getting a model to reveal something emotionally true and genuine is a lot harder than standing naked in front of the camera. About the only thing harder is to get a model who has done about 1000 shoots where they've been asked to pose "sexy" and get them to just relax and be themselves.