Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blogging Pays Off!


For the past three years, I've been pouring time into this blog like a degenerate, two-bit, gambler plunking quarters into a slot machine. Yeah, Lucky 7s have lined up a few times but the tangible payouts haven't been anything to crow about.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining! (Although it might sound like I am.) I enjoy writing. I especially enjoy writing about photography. Make that writing about pretty girl shooting photography. Plus, there's other kinds of payouts, i.e., intangible payouts like psychological, emotional, and ego-stroking payouts. Those kinds of payouts have been numerous. Too numerous to list. In a nutshell, I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of writing this blog and knowing people are reading it. Judging from the comments and emails I receive, many of you genuinely seem to appreciate what I'm doing here. That's very cool! Thanks!

More than a few of you purchase items from Amazon by using the link I've provided in the side column. My commissions, which I take in gift certificates, allow me to purchase a few things now and then... and at no cost to me and courtesy of you, the PGS blog's readers. Mostly, I purchase photography books that help me become more knowledgeable and that I later review. But not always. For instance, I purchased my little Canon Power Shot point-n-shoot with those gift certs.

Two days ago, I wrote something I called, "The Wall." I doubt it stirred anyone to any great extent. I felt I needed to write about something and, as a follow-on to my "The Old Man Who Lives on the Hill" update (which was only vaguely about photography and certainly not about pretty girl shooting) writing about the wall seemed to make sense. In retrospect, it turned out to be a blog update that is already paying off quite nicely.

That night, after writing "The Wall" update, I received an email from the marketing manager of a company called, Innovatronix. The company is HQ'd in the Phillipines and is the manufacturer of the Explorer XT portable power source I mentioned in the "The Wall" article. It seems a lot of you clicked on the link I provided and that got the attention of those 'Tronix people... half-way around the globe!

In the email, Glen, Innovatronix's marketing manager, offered to send me an Explorer XT (mine to keep) in exchange for writing a review of the product and providing them a pic or two -- SFW pics for use on their website -- from a set I might shoot utilizing the Explorer XT as a (no A/C available) location power source. How cool is that? Earlier in the day, I was writing about how much I'd like to have one of those babies for an upcoming shoot and, BINGO! By that night I found out I was gonna get one, courtesy of the manufacturer!

But it gets better.

An hour or two later I received another email from Glen. This time he tells me he had a meeting with 'Tronix's president and they've decided to not only send me an Explorer XT, but they'd also like to send me their Tronix Auxiliary Battery Pack, once again, if I'd later write a review and send them some pics.

Wow!

But it gets better.

Glen and the president also decided they would like to send me their Tronix Portable Air Blower as well as one of their (as yet to be officially released) Tronix Vulcan Battery-Operated Smoke Machines! Yep! You guessed it! Also mine to keep and with the same quid pro quo conditions, i.e., reviews and pics.

Holy smokes! (Pun intended.)

But it still gets better!

In an email back to Glen where I thanked him and 'Tronix's president for making me an offer I can't refuse, I mentioned my plans to promote pretty girl shooting workshops. Late last night, Glen emailed back confirming my acceptance of their kind offer, asking for my shipping address and, once again, upping the ante: He advised me that Innovatronix would be very interested in becoming a sponsor of such events!

I am... really thrilled about this and looking forward to trying out Innovatronix's gear and developing an on-going relationship with them. (I'm already dreaming up some ideas for using a smoke machine and/or an air blower in places where they're normally not used. How so? Because I'll be able to use them without being tethered to an A/C outlet.)

If any of you are planning on attending the WPPI Convention at the MGM Grand Hotel Conference Center in Las Vegas this weekend, stop by the Innovatronix booth and say hi. I attended last year, thoroughly enjoyed it, but am unable to be there this time. Innovatronix will be in Booth 335. Please tell them JimmyD, the pretty girl shooter, sent you.

The SFW pretty girl photo at the top is Kayla from a shoot in 2008. Kayla's got a great profile, no? Here's another of Kayla from a different shoot. This time, with unusual processing (for me) but a more customary PGS NSFW pic.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome to hear that Jimmmy. I look forward to your posts every single day and have gotten some great ideas for my own hobby photography out of them.
When companies like this help you, in turn actually they are helping us since we will read your reviews and see your pictures and want to duplicate them ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, JimmyD, that couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!

I don't often get to read your blog because of life's other pressures, but I always enjoy it. I'm glad you enjoy writing it.

And now I'm going to look forward to seeing some of your reviews and hopefully a few pics with that smoke machine!

Anonymous said...

I have no faith in freebies, especially from a photo related company. If I received 10% of what Kodak, Fuji, Polaroid, Hasselblad and Mamiya promised me "for free", I'd be retired. Maybe one product, one time, but not all this. Good luck to you but there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations JimmyD! I agree with Rick above--that couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

KS

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to hear of your good fortune. Looking forward to your review?

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I've been a lurker for a bit, maybe several weeks and I dig your writing. (Plus your service to the US)

You are an excellent writer and deserve some payback and a few toys.

But wait, there more...

I'm in the market for a fog machine and think I'll be getting this one.
Best of luck.
Tom

scott neumyer said...

Congrats, man! That's awesome news and you totally deserve it. And hell, if they're looking to give away more, I'd be more than happy to review it too! LOL

Anonymous said...

Just in case they send you more than one, please forward the extra's to me.

Kees said...

Awesome to hear that Karma is working for you Jimmy! I have and use Innovatronix Explorer and absolutely love it. They made the XT after I bought mine, and if I thought of a reason that I needed two, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding news Jimmy!

Now create a link on your page so when we buy this gear you're about to review you can get a commission!

All the best,
Bob

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, that's great. If it helps you keep writing this blog then I'm all for it. Put that equipment to good use! Best regards, Pancho

BlankPhotog said...

I was one of those who clicked, and was impressed at the features their products offered. I had no prior familiarity with this company, but when I am in the market again for what they have to offer, I will remember their name and see what they have on offer.

So yeah... you really gave them something. Hope they give you what they said as well!

Lin said...

Very cool! We've been trying for this sort of freebies/sponsorship for years. Well done! BTW you are now the only nude photographic blog we've come across that has officially been sponsored. Which kinda proves you're the best, doesn't it?!

Unknown said...

Jimmy, based on your blog posts and your forum posts I probably don't have to say this, but I will all the same.

Please write 100% honest reviews of these products. The temptation might be there to polish over the warts in favor of workshop sponsorship dollars, but a less than honest review would not be helpful to your fan base.

Oh yeah, tell Tera I said "hello".

DX said...

Well Done. this has opened my eyes to this company and am in the market for a battery-pack system. You deserve it!

Daniel

Ed said...

See, sometimes good things do happen.. Congratulations! Now see if you can drum up some really special prices. tks. Ed

Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is a great story.

Unknown said...

you had me at the point of 'what next' in there Jimmy!

looking forward to a run of outdoor location shots now

Anonymous said...

Can you somehow talk them into lowering their prices? From what I've heard the Explorers are great products...but we're in a recession!!

jimmyd said...

@everyone, Thanks for all the great comments! Innovatronix tells me they'll be shipping the gear on 02/23/09 via UPS Express (from the Phillipines) and I should receive it by 02/26/09. I'm really looking forward to shooting some stuff on location without the need of strobes tethered to A/C, as well as trying out their portable smoke machine and air blower. I'll be updating about this gear when I have some pics to share.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, Invite me up when you test them. Guess who this is?

jimmyd said...

@anon,

Jimmy, Invite me up when you test them. Guess who this is?

Uhh... The ghost of Ansel Adams? ;-) (Yah... I gno who.)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Remember our motto, f:64 and be there!

jimmyd said...

@anon, We have mottos? Who would'a known?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Just no badges. We don't need no stinkin badges.

Anonymous said...

I dunno if posted it right the first ... so I'll do it twice!-sorry-

Jimmy those are excellent news!! congratulations!!! you totally, totally deserve it!!! :D

Think of all the possibilities!! pretty girl shooting, pretty girl shooting seminar, broadening horizons project, etc. it is ultra coool!!!!

I would be crazy with all that gear lol :D!!!!

I can't think of a more talented or more deserving person than you to have this awesome opportunity :)!!! I am really, really glad you have it!!!!


My best wishes Jimmy!!

Eduar

Sean McCormack said...

I'm actually a user of the original Tronix.
Of course I've changed my lights to Elinchrom and exactly one of my new lights work with it.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

hey jimmy great news. I'm in vegas for the wppi and got to check out their booth. the explorer looks pretty sweet and it does look heavy but when I lifted it, it's not that bad, its like 15 lbs. and the wind machine will blow you away! it's freakin strong (and loud LOL!).
strange thing though, the fog machine is just sittin there, no demo. and the wind and fog machines cost some serious $$.
anyway, congrats again!

cheers,
josh