Friday, February 27, 2009

Secrets of the Pros Revisited

Back in 2006, when this blog was still in its infancy and in search of a few readers, I wrote an article I titled, "There Are No Secrets." In that update, I made a startling revelation! (Leastwise, it was startling to me.) The pros, that is those who principally make their livings as photographers, have no freakin' secrets.

When you see the words, Secrets of the Pros Revealed on the front of some photography rag, please note the only possible secret they might reveal is that there are no secrets. And I guarantee they won't be revealing *that* in the magazine. To be fair, there might be some good and useful information in a "Secrets of the Pros" article. It might even be information that's new to you and I. But secrets? Honest-to-God actual secrets? Sorry. That dog don't hunt.

There are no X Files in photography and the photographic community doesn't harbor Skull-n-Bones-like groups of shooters, pros or otherwise. If it does -- CIA & KGB surveillance aside -- it would be a well-guarded secret, probably not revealed, and certainly not in a photo rag. If it were, someone might have to kill someone.

You might wonder why I'm revisiting this subject? That's not a secret either cuz I'm gonna tell you why. (All the way back in kindergarten I learned keeping secrets wasn't nice.)

Just the other day, I discovered a new photography blog; not chronologically "new" but new to me. I discovered it by way of Scott Kelby's mucho informative PhotoshopInsider: A blog dedicated to sharing "Scoops, tips, and comments..." regarding all things Photoshop and, in the process, many subjects about photography as well. The "new" blog I'm writing about? Syl Arena's, PixSylated.

Syl, btw, is short for Sylvester. Pronunciation-wise, Syl rhymes with Bill and Phil. (Much like guitarist Steven Van Zandt's Sil, aka Silvio, on The Sopranos.) Thankfully, Arena doesn't go all Rocky Rambo on us and call himself Sly. I mean, how can you trust a guy named Sly?

You can't.

Syl is a California photographer. (I'm gonna go ahead and call him Syl because I like to appear like I know the people I'm writing about even when I don't.) He's one of those guys you'd call "a pro." But I'll bet ya dollars to doughnuts Syl doesn't believe he has mystical and magical photography secrets. He has what many "pros" have: mad skills and plenty of know-how born of experience.

Here's a snippet from Syl's latest update, focusing on a TED presentation by author, Elizabeth Gilbert.

All creatives dream. Photographers, writers, designers, musicians, dancers, chefs… dream of doing something so phenomenal that the whole world suddenly knows about it. We dream. We practice. We work. We think. When we’re lucky, we truly create.

Wow! Insightful stuff. And on the money! I read that and I felt better about myself.

Back to how I got turned on to Syl:

Syl was a recent guest blogger on Kelby's site. CLICK HERE to read his sage words. His contribution began with a picture of the PixSylator himself, peering through a DIY lighting contraption of, I'm assuming, his own design and fabrication. When I first saw the photo, I thought, "Puh-leez! That's just plain silly." Why so? Cuz there's perfectly good (and affordable) ring lights on the market that probably cost less than what it would take to build and operate that thing-- Ring lights that will deliver, pretty much, the same lighting effect.

Undaunted, cuz that's how I roll, I kept reading.

That's when I got hooked on Syl!

And that's how I found myself revisiting the subject of "secrets," i.e., that there are no secrets.

Syl wrote the following, his #8 amongst 12, equally-compelling, thought-provoking and insightful lessons:

“Coopetition” is a new business model that’s here to stay.

Competition + Cooperation = Coopetition. Old-school photographers (which has nothing to do with one’s age), keep their two or three secrets close to the vest. The rest of us understand the power of relationships and sharing. There are times when you have to compete. There are more times when it’s better to cooperate. Don’t hesitate to refer a prospect to a competitor if you are truly unable to accomplish the job. It’s quite probable that the next time your competitor can’t take a job because she’s already booked that your referral will be reciprocated. Share your knowledge freely and others will be glad to help you out when you ask.

What a simple concept! One I subscribe to myself. (Hence, this blog.) But I'd like to correct Syl on one point: Those "old school" photographers (of which I count myself amongst) do not possess two or three secrets they hold close to their vests. They don't even have one. They only *think* whatever it is their holding close is a secret. The not-so-secret secret is their egos have made them believe they know something about photography no one else does. Ahem. Sorry, guys. You doth delude yourselves.

I'll say it again: There are no secrets! All the so-called "secrets" are available and accessible to anyone willing to take the time to find them and learn from them. Some shooters might believe they have special, alchemy-ish-like secrets but truth and reality and their "secrets" aren't compatible. To use the same colloquialism I've already quoted in this article, that dog don't hunt either.

I'd strongly recommend reading all of the 12 lessons Syl shares on Kelby's blog. I'd also suggest bookmarking PixSylated and reading it regularly. I know I'm going to do just that.

And Syl? If you somehow end up reading this humble blogger's update, I also wanna mention I especially appreciated your #12: "Resist the temptation to become a pro photographer." It drove me to the dictionary where I discovered the etymology of the word, "amateur." It's French from the Latin, amator or lover. While I might make my living holding cameras in my hands, I now realize I remain an amateur, or lover of photography, as well as a professional shooter... and damn proud of it!

The mostly nude pretty girl at the top, shot for a Hustler project, is Kat from last year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lessons 10 and 11 are priceless! Lesson 12 should be repeated 100 times...

Anonymous said...

You bang on right brother, what I'm seeing so clearly now is that some of the select "pro's" have learned to partner and form this huge circle aka, NAPP, and stroke each other, refer to them in their blog as "the master" etc.. and basically a big lovefest partnership run by mother ship. This is a very specificlly built business plan to write about the amazing trips and miracle "toys" they find helps them in their photography when it's basically a link with their ID code for commissions. Also a big front with venture into it via Nikon and Adobe.
A lot of the "Pro's" are leveraging the digital bandwagon right now and milking it. They have to, there is not much work out there for them. But I feel sorry for the new people entering the hobby side, getting milked bad, buying the Fong toliet bowl looking thing for on top of their flash etc.,

I call this: The Great Light Hype and I'll be writing more about this as time goes on.

jimmyd said...

@Tom, Where ya been? You livin Twitter-free for a bit?

What you bring up is another issue, albeit not completely separate. It's an ancillary subject and all part of the same game being played by many of the uber-shooters. Endorsements are one thing. But the way many of them are endorsing these days lacks integrity.

I sure wouldn't mind pimping some products for an occasional payday. But I ain't gonna pimp something that's crap or that hobbyists or newbies certainly have no use for.

It's one thing to use a product that yields great results. And there's nothing wrong with crowing about it as well as those results. But that whole "buy and use this and your pics will look just mine" thing is pure bullshit.

Bill said...

I had beers with Chase Jarvis last week and we were laughing how some pro was critisizing him for giving away "the keys to the kingdom"...