Sunday, March 22, 2009

The ExplorerXT Rocks!

Just a short update to mention that I shot some pretty girl pics last night using the ExplorerXT as my power source. It was my first time using the gear since receiving it from Innovatronix.

I plan to write a full review of the product soon but, for now, I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the gear.

I hooked up with model, Jessica Vaughn, after driving back from attending the Model Showcase Event in Torrance, California. We shot at my pal, Rick Head's, house. Besides the opportunity to shoot Ms. Vaughn, which was a lot of fun, I wanted to use the opportunity to try out the ExplorerXT.

It was cold and Jessica was a real trooper in front of the camera, exposed to the chilly elements, only wearing that skimpy, sexy blue ensemble. I decided to use the ExplorerXT, coupled to its aux battery, to power two, Novatron, monolights. (An M500 and an M300, both fan-cooled.) I gotta say I was impressed with Jessica as well as Innovatronix's portable power gear! I shot about 150 pics over the course of nearly and hour, never changing how quickly I was snapping the shutter from my usual rate of capture. There seemed to be no noticeable difference in recycle time (from using A/C) for either monolight and, even towards the end of the series, I could detect no change in the recycle time. Because of the cold, coupled with Jessica's scant attire, I didn't shoot more: I Would have liked to have seen at what point the batteries started wearing down. I'll save that for the next time I use Innovatronix's gear.

It was liberating not having to shoot with lights tethered to A/C, still able to use the power of studio strobes as opposed to speedlites!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I think Innovatronix's portable power equipment rocks!

Since it was a dark night and very little ambient light was available, the monolights were powered up fairly high but this didn't seem to have had any (noticeable) effect on the strobe's recycle times.

I'll write more about Innovatronix's ExplorerXT in a future update. Just wanted to take a moment to report my initial reactions.

Jessica lit with a Novatron M500 modified with a Mola 33.5" Euro (for my mainlight) and a Novatron M300, boomed over her from the front of the old Ford pick-up, modified with a small, Chimera softbox. Canon 5D, 28-135 IS USM, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,

Tks for the report and gear test, but i must say of all the images of models you've posted on your blog, this is by far the weakest. Her body looks contorted and anything but sexy. Excuse my sincerity. I'd love to see other images from this session. best, joe

jimmyd said...

@Joe, What can I tell ya? I'm the shooter, I was directing the model, I'm doing the editing, I take the hit. Yeah, there's plenty more and I'll be posting some others when I get a chance. This one kinda grabbed my eye during a quick look-thru of the snaps and I'm good with it. Different strokes, eye-of-the-beholder, and all that stuff I guess. :-)

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, I disagree with anon. The photo is good it is just different. The photo is 1)full length, and 2) has different background elements. Your usual photos I have seen the model usually fills the frame. Jessica is full length with a truck as a prop. It is different. Jessica is also not your usual model/actress either. I got to photograph her last year at HTL, I find her personality fun and flirty. I would love the opportunity to photograph her again.
Kenn

Anonymous said...

In terms of cold weather... Batteries loose a great deal of available power as the temperature drops. See here for more info. One of the things I found effective is to wrap the battery in the kind of heat wraps used for aching backs. I like these.

For an alternate battery, I use an Optima 12V deep cycle battery.

jimmyd said...

@WillT, Well, since it was cold when I used the gear, and you're saying it will work even more optimally in warm temperatures, I'm even more stoked about the ExplorerXT. At this point, I've only used the gear this once so I don't have other conditions to compare efficiency.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
Since you're in contact with the Innovatronix people, can you somehow convince them to, maybe, just maybe, lower their prices or have some specials? We're in recession! please....

DJSwing40 said...

the shot looks hot, nice work man.
shooting in adverse conditions is a real pain i know its hard to direct, focus, and shoot all while freezing...
wait... i live in a sunny warm place i don't know what the f I'm talking about... but hey i do know about mosquitos attacking u and eating your hands while your shooting a hot girl in the everglades (read swamp). i know that.. and that's adverse and that sucks!
so there. i do feel ya.