Thursday, March 12, 2009

Framing for Dummies

Framing can be tricky. I'm not talking about cropping. Framing and cropping are two different animals. Related, for sure, but different as well... leastwise, in my mind they are. (BTW, the "Dummies" in my title mostly refers to me.)

Just so we're all singing from the same hymn book here, framing, for me, refers to the way I compose an image in my viewfinder. Cropping, again for me, refers to how I crop an image in post. Maybe that's how you use the terms, maybe not. Regardless. For the purpose of this update, we're gonna use my definitions of framing and cropping. (Being the grand, high, exalted, mystic ruler of a blog does have a few perks... very few, unfortunately.)

Framing certainly effects how I crop. That's where I often get myself into trouble! I get into trouble in a number of ways, i.e., I sometimes frame in various ways that don't allow me to crop in other ways. In other words, I neglect options for framing that end up inhibiting the way I can later crop the image. Especially, since I almost always want to maintain an aspect ratio that makes sense in terms of the length and width of that image's sides.

This all might sound like Photography 101 stuff but, whether it is or isn't, I often neglect these basic concepts and I moved-on from Photo 101 a long time ago! I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in too-often neglecting the basics, whether amongst pros or hobbyists, or experienced or not-so-experienced shooters.

When I'm shooting, I might see a cool angle or a great pose or expression and I frame that angle/pose/expression in a way that seems appropriate. Well, at the time it seemed appropriate. Then, I get home, look at my images, pick one or two to post and, too often, it turns out I framed the pic in a way that doesn't allow me to crop in some other way. I HATE when that happens! I have a permanent bruise on my forehead from all the times I've slapped myself there. (Think, "I could'a had a V-8!") Obviously, I can't frame things in every way possible. But giving myself a few extra options will go a long way towards keeping my forehead bruise-free.

Take the image above. It's Lexi, from yesterday's shoot. I kinda liked the pose but I framed her too tight. When I processed the image, I couldn't crop it exactly how I'd like to crop it. Like a dummy, I framed it in a way that limited my cropping options. You might think the cropping works. You might think it sucks. I don't think either. I just think it could be better, much better, "compositionally" better.

Here's what I could'a/should'a done: When shooting and framing, I could'a/should'a had her hold the pose and snap off a few extras with different framing: Looser, wider, tighter, Dutch-angled, different angles of attacks, that sort of stuff.

But I'm an impatient sort. And I like moving forward. So, as is my way, I pushed on and moved on and didn't capture that pose in a couple of different ways. (As listed above.) Certainly, I could have done so if I took the time to think about what I'm currently taking the time to write about. Yep. You guessed it: If I thought about Framing For Dummies!

So do yourself a favor. When you're shooting, think about how you're framing and how it might, later on, effect your cropping. And remember that, sometimes, there are other considerations to think about: Like what the image might be used for. For example, is it going to be used as part of an ad? If so, are you leaving enough negative space for the elements a graphic designer will later be wanting to use with your photo? Lots to think about when shooting pretty girls! Beyond, of course, how pretty and, uhh... enticing they might be.

If you've been a PGS reader for a while, you know I'm a proponent of getting things right in the camera. But sometimes, especially when it comes to framing, composing an image limited ways - ways that you might think you're going to be happy with, creatively happy, that is -- might also end up biting you on the ass! Leave yourself as many creative options as time will allow. Other than the time constraints, most of us are shooting digital. It ain't like I'm suggesting burning lots of pricey film or increasing the tab for developing all that pricey film.

As mentioned, the pretty girl at the top is Lexi from yesterday's shoot. I shot Lexi in my friend's studio. Lexi hails from Dallas and is only here, in L.A., for a week or so. Lexi did her own makeup. (She's also an MUA.) She's somewhat of a semi-newbie, modeling-wise, but she was very user-friendly and an absolute peach to work with. In fact, we're gonna work together again next time she blows into town!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do take execption to your reference of "Dummies" I much rather to be called "Knuckle-Head"
Good writes....

jimmyd said...

@Tom, LOL! Yeah, but "Framing for Knuckleheads," while certainly apropos, doesn't have the same ring to it. Doesn't roll of the tongue as easily. And doesn't play on a well-known brand. Other than that, I like it!

Anonymous said...

Not just pretty girls. I just got back from four days of landscapes, and as I'm sorting through them, there's at least a couple I framed tight enough that when I rotated them to get the horizon straight, I lost something I had wanted to keep.

I don't even have the excuse of being distracted by a pretty girl, and I still look like a budding unicorn from the forehead whacking.

MauiPhoto said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has problems with trying to reframe an image in post. The "Z" indented in my forehead is not a Harry Potter lightining bolt. It's from repeatedly slamming my head against the keyboard for not remembering to shoot an image a little looser to let me crop in post.

HCoyote said...

I just picked up a nikon d300 (upgrading from a d40) and I'm having to re-learn how I shoot because now I *do* have the option to crop in post. If I did that with the d40 I ended up losing too much, affecting the size I could print something. Now I have some maneuvering room because the d300 has more MP.

I've been forcing myself to take a step back when shooting now so I can reframe and give me those post cropping options ... and man is it difficult to break out of the habit of getting it right in the camera at times.

The Mgmt. said...

That's why you needed to get the 5DMkII - then you don't need to worry about the cropping, just the angle :P