Monday, March 16, 2009

I Canceled My MySpace Page

I canceled my MySpace account today. Why? No value added.

I don't "work" MySpace to further my goals, photography or otherwise. Never have. I don't particularly give a crap about its social networking qualities. When I network socially, I usually do it live and in person. Plus, there's other social networking web applications that suit me better, Twitter being the top of my list for doing that.

Twitter, in my mind, is more about business networking than social networking. I guess it depends on how one uses it. Certainly, plenty of people social network on Twitter. That ain't why I subscribe.

I use Twitter to gather information and to discover links that others provide. The vast majority of my Twitter contacts, i.e., those whom I follow or those who follow me, are photography related. That wasn't the case with MySpace.

MySpace is filled with SPAM. I'm not saying SPAM doesn't exist on Twitter, it does, but to a lesser extent. Plus, on Twitter, SPAMMERS only have 140 characters (or less) to attempt to cram their SPAM down your throats.

Often, MySpace seems like a bunch of people masturbating their egos. My MySpace page probably did the same thing. I haven't done anything with FaceBook. I have an account there but have never done anything with it. FaceBook just seems like another MySpace. Maybe I'm wrong about that but that's my general attitude towards it.

So, if you suddenly find me missing as your MySpace friend, don't take it personal. I'm just trying to clear out some of the clutter in my life.

The gratuitous pretty girl at the top is Charmane from some time back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't use MySpace as much as I used to either. Not for finding new people anyway. I keep in touch with family and friends, but all the photography I do is from Model Mayhem.

Lin said...

Often, MySpace seems like a bunch of people masturbating their egos.

This really did make me LOL! What a wonderful expression :-) It kinda sums up the art nude photographic world a lot of the time too. (Did I really say that? No, not me. I love it really. You know I do.)

Anonymous said...

FaceBook and MySpace are direct competitors.

From Twitter help portal (http://help.twitter.com/portal):
---
More information about Twitter
*@spam: follow our spam profile and report Twitter spam via direct message
---

I hope Twitter Spam--actually, all Spam--is kept to a minimum.

KS

Anonymous said...

It seems that the MM people use mYSpace to host more of their pictures that either cost too much or are over MM guidelines.

I have one free account at each, just because that is how some of my friends prefer to communicate.

It seems MM is all about models wanting freebies or charging you for the privileged of providing professional photographic services.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, you got me thinking again. Maybe it's time to cancel mine, too. It's been a waste of time, there's no business there, only wannabees.

Anonymous said...

I checked myspace and to tell you the truth I didn't find any value to it as a networking tool :|... and I got really convinced when I read "I'm an internet celebrity..." Internet celebrity????????? LMAO! :P..... I pass thanks ;).

what a super beautiful photo you have there :) so elegant and sexy great work Jimmy :)

My best wishes

Eduar