Sunday, May 06, 2007

Don't Piss Off the Model

I like to think I'm a funny guy. Often, I use humor to relax the models who find themselves in front of my lens. Occasionally, though, my funny-guy ways crosses the line, even though I don't always know where that line is. The models, of course, will usually let me know when I've crossed that line by their responses to my humorous barbs. When I'm thinking fast, I'll manage to press the shutter when that reaction surfaces.

Yesterday, I shot Kelly. Kelly's a lot of fun to work with and, apparently, the fact that she's so much fun must have encouraged me to take my humor to... well, to places Kelly didn't fully appreciate. Hey! What can I say? Sometimes a comic artist's art isn't fully understood in ways that it's intended.

On the plus-side, I was quick enough on my toes to snap the shutter when Kelly reacted and the resulting image, IMO, is kind'a cool.

Here's another of Kelly captured some time after she recovered from my attempt at humor. I captured Kelly with my Canon 5D with an 85mm, f/1.8 prime, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th. Three light sources were used: A 5' Photoflex Octodome for the mainlight, positioned above her and camera left; a medium Chimera strip box behind her, camera-left; a diffused, bare-bulb, monolight set camera-right, also behind her, and up fairly high. I added a piece of white foamcore, camera-right and in front of her for a bit of fill. The background I used for these was dark gray, crumpled and then rolled-out, seamless paper. MUA/Hair by Vivian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jimmyD,

I was starting to think you'd eloped you've been gone so long! Seriously, love the B&W shot of "pissed off model". Great moment and capture...you should share the info on what got that reaction so we can try it!

LSC