Monday, May 14, 2007

So Much to Do, So Little Time to Do It!

Seems like I've been a workin' fool lately. I don't know why but, recently, my phone started ringing and I've been working a lot. That's a good thing, of course, cuz I can always use the cash! It's not that I don't work often enough. It's just that, lately, I've been working about twice what I usually work. Like I said, that's a good thing.

Besides not being able to update the blog as regularly as I'd like, I haven't had much time to process the many pics of the many pretty girls I've shot in recent weeks. I love processing images and it drives me nuts when I can't spend more time messing with the pretty girl images I capture. In this photo/digital age, a lot more creative possibilities have been put into the photographer's hands. We now have more control over our work than ever before. Not very long ago, nearly everything I'd shoot would go to the lab and someone else had more control over my work than I did. But that was then and this is now and now I have all the control the darkroom once had. In fact, I have more control than they did.

When I refer to control, of course, I'm talking about having control over images I process for my own purposes. Obviously, clients, their graphic designers, and others still exercise a lot of control over what I shoot. I'm talking about selecting images that appeal to me personally: Images that I can use for promotional purposes (or just for having fun) while maintaining personal and creative control over those images. (For better or for worse.)

The model at the top is Lorena. Lorena is another model I shot during that assembly-line day I've blogged about. Once again, I've played around with compositing another image into the BG. I think it works but I know I need to get better at compositing. I suppose the only way to do that is to keep at it. I love Photoshop but, damn, there's always so much new stuff to learn. Just when you think you're getting pretty competent at doing one thing with it, something else becomes a thing you want to learn and you feel like you're a novice again!

No comments: