Thursday, July 06, 2006

Studio Glamour Lighting 101



Sorry if it looks like a mess in my studio, that's the way it often is. But I think this image is a fairly decent example of a typical lighting setup for the purpose of producing effective glamour images.

To me, one way to keep an image firmly in the realm of contemporary "glamour"(tease, T&A, Playboy-style, whatever you want to call it) is with backlighting and highlights. Notice, in the (above) image, there are more lights working from behind the model than in front of her. Their job is to produce hightlights, rims, and edges. (Oh, BTW, the model here is Nikita Lea. Nikki's a well-known and experienced glamour model.)

I like to use strip lighting to produce highlights that "edge" the model. There's a two-fold purpose to this, well, maybe three-fold: 1) It adds excitement to the image by way of the highlights, 2) it separates the model from the BG, and 3) if a graphic designer is, later, going to be lifting the model from the image's BG to replace it with something else, he or she will have an easier time doing so with all that hot rimlighting surrounding her.

For the key or mainlight my trusty Mola beauty dish always delivers soft, creamy lighting. Remember, the closer in you move the light source, the softer it will be. Octagons and large softboxes are also effective mainlights as are (but, IMO, to a lesser extent) large umbrellas. I find the Mola's most effective range to be from 3' to 5' and, for whatever reasons, I like shooting with my mainlight in and around f/5.6 at 125th for this sort of stuff. And, yes, I always meter my lights. If you're not using a meter, I suggest you start doing so. You want control, right? Well, its more difficult and time-consuming to effectively control the light when you can't measure it.

With my mainlight at 5.6, my backlights are going to have to be hotter, i.e., producing more intensity, in order to get the highlights I'm looking for. To accomplish this, I set the backlights in and around a third of a stop hotter than the mainlight. (Example: Meter will read + or - f/5.6.3.) As for the hairlight, I'll sometimes make that one even stronger depending on the model's hair color, e.g., darker hair, more light, lighter hair, less light depending, of course, on the effect I'm looking to achieve.

None of my light-settings are etched in stone and I don't JUST rely on the meter. What are we? Technicians or artists? Okay, maybe a bit of both, but I also chimp and adjust to taste. Often, I'll quickly throw the first images onto a computer (a laptop on the set) to have a look at them before I begin shooting in earnest. I don't trust those LCDs on the back of the cameras, they always seem to be brighter than the image even when I turn down the brightness on them. Plus, they're so small it's hard to examine the detail even when you zoom in. I do, for the most part, trust the histograms, but they can sometimes be deceiving as well.

You might notice I'm using a piece of foamcore for fill on the other side of the model from the mainlight. In this case, it's a piece of foamcore mounted on a piece of beadboard, i.e., thicker, coarser, styrofoam. If I remove the fill, the model's face will have more shadow and be perceived as "artsier." (Rembrandt patch, chiaroscurro, and all that artsy stuff.) Reflecting some fill subtlely and gently fills in the shadows while not producing a flat, across-the-face, exposure. (Lighting ratios and all that.) You'll also notice a small light in the rear and to the right of the model. That's a small softbox with some cinefoil (blackfoil) wrapped around it to keep the light from spreading. This light is acting as a kicker and highlighting the ends of her hair which are being gently blown back by a fan.



Well, there's my twenty-five cent glamour lighting lecture. Try to remember: this stuff ain't rocket science. Once you become comfortable and at-home with your lighting, you'll be able to concentrate on important things like getting the model to deliver the goods.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jimmy,..very informative, keep it up. :)

Anonymous said...

Are Dyna-Lights the only type of head you can use with those Mola dishes? Have you worked with both the setti and the demi, and if so what are the differences in lighting quality, i.e. fall off, contrast, etc... and which do you prefer.

Also, have you ever used the Profoto white beauty dish, and if so what's your opinion?

Ricco

Anonymous said...

OMG! You've brought in the "comment police"?!?

LOL

Ricco

Anonymous said...

I think that word verification feature goes a long way towards impeding spammers, Jimmy.

Ricco

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jimmy. You explained it very well. I'm just starting to learn about studio lighting. I look forward to seeing what's next.

Anonymous said...

And btw, you never mentioned your little background light. Or is that just spill that you darkened the corners of in post? ;)

Ricco

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, I'd buy the book ;-)

Anonymous said...


Often, I'll quickly throw the first images onto a computer (a laptop on the set) to have a look at them before I begin shooting in earnest. I don't trust those LCDs on the back of the cameras, they always seem to be brighter than the image even when I turn down the brightness on them. Plus, they're so small it's hard to examine the detail even when you zoom in. I do, for the most part, trust the histograms, but they can sometimes be deceiving as well.


I'm surprised that being in a studio environment you're not shooting tethered with C1 Pro or similar program.

jimmyd said...

Are Dyna-Lights the only type of head you can use with those Mola dishes? Have you worked with both the setti and the demi, and if so what are the differences in lighting quality, i.e. fall off, contrast, etc... and which do you prefer.

Also, have you ever used the Profoto white beauty dish, and if so what's your opinion?

Ricco


i don't use dynalites with my mola, i use novatrons.

there's a ring, similar to what you use on a softbox, to install the light. you can either purchase one specific to your lights or, like i did, modify the ring that came with the dish to fit my novatron. i bought my dish used. i don't know what kind of lights the photographer i bought it from used.

also, i've never used the setti or demi (those are the smaller dishes, right?) so i can't speak about those with any authority. i would assume the light would have less spread (as they're smaller)and the light would fall off quicker. i've also not used profoto's dish... nor hensel's nor any other manufacturers so I can't speak about them. i do know that mola's design seems unique and certainly is different from the others. mola also claims a patent on the paint they use inside the dish. do the other dishes have a glass baffle? i don't know. mola's baffle is opalescent.

jimmyd said...

I'm surprised that being in a studio environment you're not shooting tethered with C1 Pro or similar program.

I could tether myself to the laptop or a monitor but I'd have to do so with a cable and that just doesn't work for me. when i can afford one of those radio transmitters that hooks to the camera and comes with a receiver for the computer... well, that's what i'm talking about!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very informative Jimmy. I'm struggling here. What size in your chimera strip box and can those only be used with strobes? dave.

jimmyd said...

What size in your chimera strip box and can those only be used with strobes? dave.

my chimera strip is their "Super Pro Plus White Medium Strip." it measures 14" x 56" and its 22" deep. mine cannot be used with hotlights but chimera does make softboxes that are designed for use with hot, continuous light.