Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!

Believe it or not, photographing pretty girls with their clothes on and off can sometimes become boring and repetitive. It's like working in a candy store: Sooner or later, no matter how much of a sweet tooth you might have, candy loses some of it's appeal... well, briefly and only occasionally and not for too long. (Whew!)

It's during these times, during these uninspired moments, when I feel like I need to do something a little different to help maintain my shooter-related sanity; not that I'm all that sane to begin with.

When time permits, I occasionally enjoy getting a little whacky with the shots. If the model is agreeable and she's not in a rush to get out the door, I'll ask if we can try shooting some stuff that's a bit contrary to the same ole, same ole stuff-- Not really dramatically different in terms lighting and photographic style, just some goofy stuff... you know, to break up the tedium. I usually warn the model what we're about to shoot might not be images she'll want in her portfolio, but we might end up with a few, really-fun-pics, that we'll both like.

During a recent shoot with Cindy (pictured in this post), we had some extra time. I'd already gotten everything the client needed but I was having a great time shooting with her and she seemed to be enjoying herself so I suggested we shoot some kooky stuff.


My assistant on this shoot, Cippy (prounounced Sippy which is short for his given name, Cipriano), kept his mouth shut but rolled his eyes. As far as Cippy was concerned, the shoot was over, he'd already earned his "day rate," and he wanted to go home. Sorry Cippy! I wanted to have some fun and I needed some help and Cippy wasn't going anywhere just yet and he knew it... hence, the rolling eyes. Cippy's worked with me quite a few times and he knew the drill: His time isn't a big concern to me when I'm having fun. Hey! Is that so wrong?

Cindy was already naked which, if you knew Cindy, you'd know is a condition she's quite comfortable with in front of the camera and, I'm guessing, in life in general. Models with attitudes like her's are always a plus when shooting T&A!

I needed Cippy to lie on his back between Cindy's legs and, while Cindy stood over him, hold the fan up with outstretched arms and pointing it straight up at the underside of Cindy's, uhhh... private parts. Cippy needed to hold the fan in such a way that the wind it created would be split between Cindy's front side and her rear. This would blow Cindy's long, blonde hair almost straight up and, as we soon discovered, if Cippy moved the fan back and forth, from Cindy's front to rear, and angled it this way and that, her hair would be blowing all over the place in weird and freaky ways. For a few of the shots, I added a second fan and propped it atop a couple of stacked apple boxes, turned up on their ends.

Suddenly, Cippy's whole attitude changed as he grabbed the fan, dropped quickly to the floor, rolled onto his back and shimmied himself between and under Cindy's long legs. I'd never seen Cippy move so fast!

While Cippy dutifully and enthsiastically manned the fan, I directed Cindy to grab at her hair (or whatever else she wanted to grab at) and shout. I mean shout! Shout as in shriek as in primeval screams! One thing about Cindy, she ain't shy.

Cindy grabbed at her hair and other things and let loose and howled! She growled and snarled and grunted and groaned loudly. I was loving it! But Cippy's smile soon began to fade. He was starting to look a bit nervous. I think he was concerned about what was going to happen next, where all this was going, or what I might next ask Cindy to do or what Cindy, herself, might decide to do. Cippy's a gentle soul. And, in spite of the fact that he's around sexy, naked, chicks fairly regularly, Cippy isn't exactly what you'd call a worldly guy. Me, I was hoping the neighbors weren't listening too closely. I had the music cranked up and it ocurred to me they might be thinking there was murder taking place at a party in my studio! Oh well! I shrugged it off and shot. I was giggling and gleefully snapping away, encouraging Cindy to keep going at it.

So next time you're bored, try something different. Try shooting some whacky stuff. You might like the results. You'll never know till you try, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess if you have to spend extra time at work...

on your back between a model's legs is the way to spend it.