Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Chill Time

My very busy June has turned into a "Holy crap! Where's all the work?" July! Such is the way, I suppose, of more than a few photographers: It's either feast or famine. I'm not particularly concerned. Things will pick up again. Probably fairly quickly. They almost always do. For now, I'm just going to enjoy an extended 4th of July holiday.

I've decided I'm going to try to streamline and minimize the camera and lighting package I bring to sets. The cost of gasoline is driving this decision. I want to be able to ride my motorcycle to work and that means carrying one bag of gear on my back.



I have a pretty decent backpack camera bag. In it, I can hold two camera bodies, a few lenses, two or three small, on-camera-type strobes, a meter, and various other accessories. I can also strap a few umbrellas, a couple of small stands, and a flex-reflector or two to the outside of the bag. I'll be dependent on batteries for power and that might mean purchasing some higher-end power packs, like those manufactured by Lumedyne, but I gotta do what I gotta do. This freakin' gas is killing me! I probably dumped $600 or $700 into my tank last month to get back and forth to work!

The photo at the top is another of Sascha from last week. The other photograph, of course, is my fat ass on my new production vehicle, my Harley Night Rod.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

Did you know they make small trailers for motorcycles, so you could take a few lights and stands. I carry two White Lighting 600's and two stands and two umbrellas and all the necessary cords in one tenba bag.

That plus the camera bag will get you a lot done.

It is time for BREAKFAST!

KGphoto

Anonymous said...

ha! i spent waay too much money driving around socal last week. $75 to fill up the tank on the rental car!

wonder if i can pack up my stuff on the back of my ducati? LOL!

loving your images as always.

cheers!
steve