Saturday, July 26, 2008

PicLens is a Cool Image Viewer

I've already posted this on a couple of photography forums but, in case you don't know about it, you might want to check it out. I'm talking about PicLens from Cooliris.

PicLens is a 3-D-ish image viewer that turns images from Yahoo and Google searches (and from Flickr, YouTube, MySpace, FaceBook, PhotoBucket, and other web destinations) into a 3-D wall. The plug-in has an easy interface that allows you to move around the images, enlarge them, shrink them, and go the the page where the image resides. And all this with total ease! Trust me. This is a very cool plug-in.

PicLens is for Mozilla Firefox browsers (v.3.0) although there are versions that support Internet Explorer and Safari. (Why anyone would want to be using IE is beyond me?)

My favorite photographer/model forum, SuperShoots.net, has already made the jump to being PicLens friendly. I'm guessing more photo forums will follow suit.

If you want to learn more about PicLens and/or download it (did I mention it's free?) you can do so by clicking HERE.

The gratuitous eye-candy at the top is Audrey from the other day. It's a no-frills, no-fuss, very slightly processed image, captured in front of a white seamless. I used two light sources: A mainlight modified with a flat, Larson, shoot-thru, Reflectasol, and an accent/hair-light modified with a small, shoot-thru umbrella, boomed from behind her. Audrey did her own make-up and hair. Images like this tend to be popular with graphic designers (for ads and/or DVD cover art) as the model is so easy to extract from the BG.

2 comments:

joshua said...

I'm not a fan of Web 2.0 type of things or anymore flash based things. But, I'm having trouble uninstalling this one. I'm sort of liking it. Someday we won't have to read anymore because we will have image walls to tell us everything! ;)

You're right, it is cool. It runs smooth and quick, even on my old dinosaur here. That didn't sound quite right did it?
-joshua

Tacoma Justin said...

Great find. Only played around with it for a few minutes so far but it seems to work great.