Thursday, July 31, 2008

Is the Grass Always Greener?

It's human nature to envy what others have, what they're doing, what they've accomplished, what their status might be. Being human, I'm no exception to this condition.

Although I often hear how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing (taking pictures of pretty, sexy, women in varying stages of dress and undress) and getting paid for it, I fall prey to envy. I envy photographers who are taking pictures of all the things I'd like to be taking pictures of and, most importantly, getting paid to do so. In more than a few cases, the people I envy are getting paid sick money for doing so. That includes people who are taking pictures of the same stuff I'm taking pictures of!

Be that as it may... Oh shit! My father was fond of saying that! (And I was never fond of hearing it.)

Anyway...

Be that as it may, I suppose envy is a great motivator. People want what they don't have. They want to do the things that seem out of reach to them and only (it seems) available to others, i.e., those others whom they envy. How many great human accomplishments were truly motivated by altruistic desires? I'm certainly not motivated to photograph beautiful women strictly for the enjoyment of others or myself. I ain't saying it ain't fun. But it is what it is. The truth is, I do it for the paycheck. The fact that others derive pleasure from my work is a bonus (collected on by my ego) but it isn't what drives me. What drives me are the tangible rewards. What drives me is self-preservation. What drives me, literally, is the automobile (and the fuel) that's paid for by the monetary rewards of my work.

There are times when I'm so consumed with envy for what others are able to accomplish (and get paid to accomplish) that it becomes counter-productive. I won't go so far as to say it makes me bitter--I'm not the bitter sort--but it does sometimes push me into states of self-pity. And self-pity is not a motivator. It's a roadblock. It's a wall. It's the thing that sucks the wind out of a person's sails.

I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how I can break into areas of photography that seem to elude me. That figuring out time goes beyond planning and strategizing and hoping and praying. Daily, I scour the web looking for information and tips that (hopefully) will put me on the trail towards wherever it is I hope to go. I read books and magazines that might do the same. I am consumed with both envy and a determination to reach that place where I need not be bothered by it, by envy that is. (Is there such a place?) While the starving artist thing might be a romantic notion, there's nothing romantic about starving, artist or otherwise. I'm not saying I'm starving but I ain't exactly bloated with success. (Poor me, huh.)

I'm guessing I'm not the Lone Ranger when it comes to this envy malady. I suppose that's why envy is a common human condition and not a rarely seen state of being. I didn't set out to write a depressing, bummer update. I'm just saying. Perhaps tomorrow the grass on my side of the fence will seem greener?

The doe-eyed, Filipina eye-candy at the top, posing with a bit of faux-modesty, is Kina from yesterday's gig. Kina did her own makeup. Although I photographed Kina against a white seamless, I didn't intend to shoot high-key. As most of you know and the rest of you should know, a white background does not automatically mean "high key." I used two light sources: A mainlight modified with a 3'x3' translucent scrim and a backlight, modified with a small, shoot-thru umbrella, boomed above and behind her and somewhat camera-right. Why only two lights? That's all I had with me. And that's also why the white background isn't white. (Although I could'a PS'd it white if I were so inclined.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,

Your post about envy reminded me of some videos that I had seen recently about life's lessons. They're touchy feely type things, something that I am not especially good at, but I thought you and your loyal readers might enjoy.

One of life lessons is about scaling walls. As Randy Pausch said, brick walls are not meant to keep you out. Rather, they are meant to see how badly you want something and to keep everyone else out. When I read you discuss your envy, I thought about the walls that might be preventing you from achieving your dreams. This is something that I am sure we all struggle with--I know I do.

Anyway, the videos speak for themselves.

Randy Pausch was a professor who recently succumbed to cancer on July 25th. These videos are his artistic expressions before he passed on.

Video #1

A Professor's Life Lessons


Video #2
Dying Professor's Last Lecture Revisited


Video #3
The Last Lecture


Video #4
A Final Farewell


Video #5
Remembering Randy Pausch


For those that don't want to view all videos, I suggest viewing videos 1 and 4.


ks

Mac said...

Ha...I am in the same boat.

Anonymous said...

Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast!

Rich said...

Envy is the biggest cause of unhappiness in the developed world.

Once all our basic needs are covered, it is the desire for what we do not have, that drives us to change our lives and obtain them. It is the cornerstone of consumerist society.

And yet, most of that which we desire will not make us any happier, and usually makes us less happy.

The wisdom is in choosing the things to achieve that we are within our grasp, chasing after those things that it is impossible to have leads to endless misery.

Choose wisely Mr Jones.

Lin said...

I don't like the word "envy." It seems such a counter-productive emotion for an artist. Let's cross it out and insert "aspirational."

There, that's better isn't it? It's amazing what a little word manipulation can do :-)

jimmyd said...

I don't like the word "envy." It seems such a counter-productive emotion for an artist. Let's cross it out and insert "aspirational."

There, that's better isn't it? It's amazing what a little word manipulation can do :-)


I specifically chose the word, "envy," because of its negative connotations. I didn't want to dilute the representation of my feelings. It is what it is and (I'm somewhat embarrassed to say) "envy" is exactly what it is.

Envy by any other name is still envy. My apologies to The Bard for bastardizing his line.