Monday, July 07, 2008

Prayers and Positive Thoughts Needed! ***UPDATE***

I'm going off-topic from the discussion of glamour photography today for a special request: Whether it's a prayer, a positive thought, a powerfully good vibe, or whatever manner you choose to send the power of hope and healing, I would appreciate you taking a moment to send some of that on behalf of my brother, Steven

My little brother--okay, he's 51 but he's still, and always will be, my little brother--is in need of prayers and positive thoughts. Last week, he was admitted into Providence Saint Josephs Medical Center in Burbank, California. He was in pretty bad shape: His kidneys had shut down, his blood sugar level was through the roof, and his heart was quickly giving out. It took a few days to figure it all out but the doctors concluded he has a fairly rare blood infection. They began a regimen of antibiotics and attended to his kidneys and blood sugar levels. He has responded well to those treatments but, as a result of the infection, they'll be taking him into surgery early tomorrow morning to replace his seriously damaged aortic valve.

Steven is in good spirits and is maintaining a brave, positive attitude. He is well aware of what it means to go through this sort of surgery. Fifteen years or so ago, Steve had his aortic valve replaced because of a congenital defect. But his once-replaced heart valve is now a casualty of this blood infection and he has to go through it all over again. The doctors would have preferred to have him on the antibiotics for a month or so before doing this surgery but they don't feel they have the luxury of that time.

Again, if you could take a moment to send your prayers and/or positive thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

At the top, another image of the beautiful Sascha from the many I photographed of her a few weeks ago.

_________________________________________


U P D A T E ! ! !

Okay. Today the doctors decided to hold off a bit on my brother's surgery... probably till sometime next week. Apparently, they now feel he's not in extreme imminent danger of his heart failing so they've decided to spend more time attacking the bacterial infection in his blood before performing the open heart surgery.

BTW, today Steve needed to decide what kind of new heart valve to have installed. Who knew they give choices like that? Anyway, he had to choose from human, mechanical, pig, or cow. There's pros and cons to each. I think he's going with the bovine option. So we spent some time considering a few of the new nicknames he'll have to endure. Obviously, he'll be hearing "cowboy" and "cowpoke" more often then he'll want to hear. On a side note, I was wondering if vegetarians would choose heart valves from cows or pigs? And what about Hindus? Would cow even be an option? How about Jews and Muslims? Could they choose a pork valve? Man! It always gets complicated when religions and science collides.

19 comments:

Sal said...

Hey Jimmy,

Much love to Steven and you. Hang in there and stay positive. It sounds like the doctors have figured out what's going on and know how to fight it.

Both of you are in my thoughts.

Sal

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry for your troubles, my thoughts are with you and your brother -
you've been so good about answering my questions over the years, and sharing teaching all of us PGS readers, prayin is the least i can do, if you need anything else, ask.
ben

Lin said...

I have good contacts upstairs, so I'll definitely put in a good word for Steven. If he's remotely like his big brother, he's a true fighter.

Rich and I will be keeping everything crossed for him.
Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Much love and good vibes for your brother, you and your family, I really wish your brother has a quick recovery!!

both your brother and you are in my prayers Jimmy!!
ED

Anonymous said...

Best and good thoughts to you and your familys, hope all is well.

Jon

Unknown said...

Hi Jimmy,

Your brother and family are in our prayers. Stay up and hang in there.

cire

Anonymous said...

Jimmy

Steven and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers

Tom

Anonymous said...

I wish your brother all the best Jimmy!

_S

Ben said...

Jimmy,

Just heard about your site and your brother's condition from the Strobist Flickr group.

He will be in my thoughts! I wish him, you, and your family the best.

Thank you for providing your site which I am about to explore!

Take care,

--Ben

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jimmy. Consider yourselves in my thoughts.

Pete Surrette said...

Many positive thoughts coming your way. Sounds like Steven has the positive attitude needed to prevail.
Keep us posted.

Pete

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

I will pray for him too.

I'm glad you're able to make light of the situation re: heart valve choices.

"Welcome to Heart Valve King. Would you like to try our new cow valve?"

"Sure, that sounds good."

"Will that complete your order?"

"Oh yeah, and get rid of this damn infection!"

"Your order number is 127. We will call your number when it's ready. Thank you for choosing Heart Valve King. Have a great day."

Anonymous said...

Prayers are in for your fam.

jeff

Anonymous said...

Wishing your brother and you all the very best.

ks

Clint said...

All the best for your bro. I know how much I miss my 40 year old kid brother.

Anonymous said...

It seems that my hope yesterday that they'd be able to hold off on the surgery until your brother has a chance to build up some strength has come true, so now I can simply hope that the surgery goes well, and he's able to make a full recovery.

I never would have thought there would be a choice of heart valves, and I'm sure that's a difficult decision.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Thanks for the blog and I'm glad you were willing to share what is a tough time for your family.

Pete

David Hobby said...

Hey, Jimmy-

Best of luck to your li'l bro. You guys are in our thoughts today.

David H
Strobist.com

WillT said...

Brothers are so important! Our thoughts are with you both.

Patty and Will

Anonymous said...

While I am a bit late in wishing your brother well I would like to do so.

As for the nickname I would suggest hart of a bull. It connotes the strength which we all hope he achieves following his illness.

WMS