Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Quick "Kid Brother" Update

I'm off to the hospital to visit my brother, Steve. He had his open heart surgery (aortic valve replacement) on Thursday and he's doing very well, all things considered.

Steve's surgeon predicted a four-hour surgery. Instead, Steve was in the operating room for eight-and-a-half hours. As my mother and niece (Steven's daughter) and I sat in the waiting room for all that time, we began to suspect something was amiss when the time passed from four hours to 5 to 6 to 7...

According to my brother's surgeon, things did not go according to plan, more than a few complications arose, surgical improvisations were required, and much more work than was anticipated needed to be performed.

But... Steve survived! He is in stable condition and is doing very well. The doctor's are very happy with how he's responding. He is expected to fully recover!

Again, many thanks to all for your prayers, positive thoughts, and well wishes!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, glad to read that your brother is recovering well. Best wishes to your entire family.

ks

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! Congrats man. I hope you have continued success with your brothers progress.

Keep him upbeat and have a family member by his bedside keeping an eye on things 24/7 if possible.

Adam said...

Jimmy,

I've been through aortic heart valve replacement in 2005. Actually, my pulmonary valve was replaced as well.

It can be pretty tough - both the surgery and the recovery .

If you need anything, let me know.

Adam

Lin said...

Told you he was a fighter like his big bro!

Please pass on our good wishes,

Lin & Rich

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to hear everythings on the right track. continued best wishes and prayers.

Sal said...

That's great news, Jimmy! I wish him and you nothing but the best.

sal

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,

That's some great news. Our prayers are still with you and your family. Happy wishes to you all. God bless.

Eric S.