Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Getting Back to the Studio

One of my regular clients, Tera Patrick's company, TeraVision, is putting together a studio. I haven't seen the studio yet, although I understand it's about 2,500 square feet of shooting space with 14' (or higher) ceilings. They're building some sets including a permanent, white cyclorama. (Sometimes called, in photographic applications, an Infinity Wall.)

The cyclorama, or cyc, (pronounced sike)includes a white ceiling with a cove where the ceiling meets the back and side walls. Cool! Typically, most cycs don't include a cove ceiling. This offers even more options for lighting and interesting camera angles. (The cyc and its design, BTW, was per my suggestions for the studio's layout.)

And here's the coolest part of all: I'm getting a key to the place!

That doesn't mean, of course, that I have carte blanche to go in there anytime I want to shoot whatever I want but it does mean I'll probably have some degree of access in addition to what I shoot for Tera and/or TeraVision.

I'm fairly anxious to get back to shooting some studio photography. I had my own studio for a couple of years but, in 2007, economics made the decision (for me) to not renew my lease. I have a fair amount of lighting and grip gear that isn't particularly practical for location work. I'll be keeping some of this gear in TeraVision's new studio and, once again, utilizing it. Can't wait to get my Mola Euro beauty dish out of storage and begin using it again!

Word is, construction in the studio will be completed in a week or two so I should start getting my studio feet wet (again) fairly shortly. I'm stoked!

The photo of Jana (at the top) was shot in my studio a couple of years ago. The photo below is a behind-the-scenes look at the lighting, the props, and Fonzie, my assistant du jour, at the controls of the smoke machine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Have fun..oh and I have the Mola Demi..all I can afford right now but its a beautiful light! Have a great weekend

jeff/j3

Anonymous said...

Hey Glad I am glad to hear you will be part of something pretty big! a man of your talent (without a doubt) will truly shine in the place! Give your best and aim for the stars Jimmy!!

Ed