Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Canon's New 400D

Just when you thought it was safe to purchase a new camera, they come out with something even newer. I'm not sure Canon, or other companies, realize how the proliferation of new camera bodies might actually cause some potential consumers to hold off on buying.

It's like computers: Everytime I think about getting something new I end up holding off on buying because I'm concerned that the moment I buy it, something newer and faster and better(?) and, let's not forget, less-expensive might be released.

Anyway, Canon's new EOS 400D (I believe they're calling it the Rebel xTi for U.S. distribution) boasts, amongst other improvements, 10.1 megapixels and a new DiG!C II processor. If you want to learn more about it, you can click HERE.

Personally, I think buying a new camera should have everything to do with your personal needs. When I bought Canon's 5D, it made sense to me as I was mostly interested in upgrading to a full-frame sensor. The megapixels weren't as important to me and, frankly, if the 5D's megapixel count were around 10 mp, rather than 12 mp, I still probably would have purchased. Why? Because I wanted to be shooting with a full-frame sensor so that my glass would perform as it's supposed to perform. The larger LCD on the back of the 5D was also a much appreciated addition but it wasn't a large part of my buying decision. The 5D's 2-1/2 inch LCD, by the way, is fairly useless outside, in daylight.

Photokina is right around the corner and some people are expecting yet another Canon product to be unveiled-- possibly a 40D? Who knows? Well, I guess Canon knows but they're not saying anything... yet.

The gratuitous eye-candy accompanying this post is Alexis. Sorry if I might have posted these pics before. I don't know if I did or didn't but it seems like way too much work to go back and look through previous posts to see if I've already posted them . Besides, if I did post her pics before, she's easy enough on the eyes to look at again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

40D???
JimmyD, what are you doing to me?
Please don't tell me that my Canon 30D is now consider old technology.

jimmyd said...

Please don't tell me that my Canon 30D is now consider old technology.

Don't think of it as "old." Think of it as finely aged, like wine.