Sunday, August 20, 2006

I've Been A Workin' Fool!

No rest for the weary. It's tough to maintain this blog when I've been working almost everyday. Not that I'm complaining. Work is good. Make that, making money is good.

If any of you are, like me, self-employed, you know it can be feast or famine unless you're already wildly successful... which I certainly ain't. Since everything seems to run in cycles, this past week or more has been an up-cycle which also means I'm off and running early in the day and not back till late at night. (This most recent up-cycle has been a location cycle, a shooting-somewhere-else cycle, that is, a shooting somewhere other than my studio cycle.)

Yesterday, for instance, I had to be at another studio at 8:00 A.M. That hurts! I ain't a morning person. My idea of a civilized call time is noon. Being at a location by 8:00 A.M. means I have to get up at 6:00 A.M. which, to me, is still night-time. And then, sometimes, like yesterday, the shoot goes until 1:00 A.M. and by the time I pack my stuff at the location, drive back home and unload, it's 3:00 A.M. and then I have to unwind so I don't end up crawling into bed till about 4:00 A.M. or so and, frankly, that's way too many A.M.s for my liking.

In all, I shot six pretty girls yesterday. Two of those models, Charlie and Nautica, accompany this post and are from yesterdays bevy of beauties. Charlie is at the top, then Charlie and Nautica, and finally Nautica, by herself, in the last image.

All the images were digitally captured with a Canon 5D with an 85mm prime on board. I shot at ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th. MUA was Liliana. No assistant so I'm doubly tired today. I used three lights for everything: A 5' Photoflex octagon for my mainlight, a Chimera strip and a small umbrella from behind and on either side.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,

Thanks for your blog. I have a quick question.

Do you meter your other lights at f5.6, or do you use another setting?

Thanks,

Robert

Anonymous said...

I know all about the work man. I am a wedding photographer and those things can kill! Love the shots (again).

jimmyd said...

Do you meter your other lights at f5.6, or do you use another setting?

i meter all the lights separately. if my mainlight is metered to f/5.6, for instance, you wouldn't see any of the highlights if the others, i.e. the rim and edgelights, were set to the same.