Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Language Barriers

Interesting shoot today: The model spoke no English and I speak very little Spanish -- about enough to order food in a Mexican restaurant -- and, to make matters worse, Rebecca is from Barcelona, Spain. Why is that worse? Because, if I'm not mistaken, they speak Castilian in Barcelona and Castilian ain't the same Spanish I order my burritos with... so my limited Spanish language skills were even more useless.

I was also not in the best of moods when I arrived at the location. I had just come from my doctor's office where I had a physical. About half-way through it, as he was checking for a hernia, asking me to cough, and I was trying to say something along the lines of, "So, how about those Mets?" the good doctor told me he had some bad news. I said, "Give it to me, Doc." And, with that, he explained he needed to perform a prostrate check as he slipped on the latex gloves and produced a tube of lube from a drawer in the examination room. If you know what prostrate exams are all about you know why I wasn't in the pleasantest of moods.

Back to the shoot.

Since Rebecca spoke no English and there was no one on the set to translate I was forced to resort to sign language and demonstrations.

Usually, when I demonstrate poses I preface them with warnings of how silly I'm about to look and assurances of my hetero-masculinity as I make like Madonna and strike a pose or two or three or more. Maybe I'm being homophobic but, regardless, since Rebecca was mono-lingual in Castilian I couldn't make excuses for how, uhh... un-manly my demonstrations might seem. Bear in mind, I'm in my fifties and I'm only in shape to the extent that round's a shape so you can imagine what I look like demonstrating pretty girl poses for a luscious young lass.

That's two embarassments in one day, albeit I was much more comfortable with this, the second one.

For those interested in how I lit these images, Rebecca is in a very white entryway with French windows-and-doors running down one side of it. There was a large, overhead, transluscent skylight above. We shot these in early afternoon so the sun was high in the sky. I placed a monolight on the other side of the French windows on a stand with a small, silver, umbrella. To Rebecca's left, I set another monolight with a large silver umbrella. She was front-lit with daylight coming in from the skylight and reflecting off the white walls and white stone floor. Reno, my assistant, held a large, round, gold reflector to warm her up a bit. I shot with the white balance set for strobes. I metered for exposure to the ambient daylight and stopped down a little. The strobes were set to fire a bit hotter than my exposure.

BTW, there's not much post-processing to these images. Rebecca might appear as though I liberally applied Gaussian Blur but, in actuality, I applied almost none. The light was incredibly soft in that entryway. Mostly, the post consisted of a little cropping, levels adjust, and clone-stamping out a few stray hairs and a couple of body blemishes.

Credits: Model Rebecca, MUA Melissa, Assistant Reno, Canon 5D w/28-135mm, ISO 100, f/9.0 @ 125th.

Here's another shot of Barcelona's wickedly-cute, Rebecca.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful results, although I must confess the mental image of you directing this shoot is, er, unnerving.

But, in this case I guess, the ends justify the means. :)

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous since you were definately in a bad mood with the grease and glove(I can relate)and the language barrier to boot. How you can come up with all these lighting arrangments is far beyond us now, but well,, we're learning from ya and wanted to give you our appreciation.

THNX TONS!