Monday, August 14, 2006

Who's That Behind Those Foster Grants?

I'm probably dating myself but I can remember when the famous Foster Grant eyewear advertising campaign began. According to Advertising Age Magazine, it was one of the Top 100 ad campaigns of the 20th century. Of course, I'm talking about Foster Grant's "Who's that behind those Foster Grants?" campaign which began 1965.

Yeah, I can still remember when those ads first started to appear. And I remember thinking, "Damn! Those people do look good in Foster Grants." I wasn't sure I wanted an actual pair of Foster Grants and, since I was still in public school, I was pretty sure I couldn't afford them. But I was also sure I'd look way cool sporting some kind of dark-glass eyewear. At least, I was sure of it regardless if anyone agreed. In fact, to this day I feel naked if I'm out in the daytime without a pair of shades on. I'll bet some of you feel the same way.

Even though I hate covering a model's gorgeous eyes, I still like shooting them wearing shades. Often, when I'm shooting, I'll ask the model if she has a pair of sunglasses with her and, if so, I'll have her put them on and snap a few. I also go to thrift stores frequently--looking for props and sometimes wardrobe--and I always look to see if they have any cool sunglasses for sale. What makes it even cooler is, if they do have some interesting pairs of shades, they're usually priced at 99¢ which is right in my thrift store price range. Just the other day I found a bomb pair of shades with dark magenta lenses and (sort of like) tortoise shell/cheetah skin frames. I haven't shot them yet but I will. Soon.

If you're wondering who's behind those Foster Grants in the pics I posted with this, her name is Paris. MUA was Terese Heddon. Images were captured with a Canon 20D (before I bought my 5D) with an 85mm prime on board, ISO 100, f./5.6 @ 125.

Here's another shot of lovely, eighteen-year-old, Paris.

No comments: