Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Difference A Little Light Makes

It's interesting how the addition/subtraction of a single light can make a big difference in images, especially glamour images.

In the image to the left, the monolight I placed on the other side of the door failed to fire. The shots for this set were being partially and artificially lit by a single source from behind the door. Since I placed the monolight behind the model, ambient light was all I had to work from the front. This was because one of the two monolights I brought with me to the location decided to take a dump. leaving me with only a single, working light. I also had an assitant who could hold a reflector.

I had figured I'd get more "wow" value from my lone, working light by placing it behind the model: In this case, behind the French-windowed door, firing its photons through the glass.

When the monolight failed to fire (in the image above) it offered a good opportunity to see the difference between having that single light working and not having it work.

I don't know about many of you but, personally, I think the image of model Alexis has way more punch (as you can see in the image to the right) when the light did fire, which it did for most of the set. Sure, some may argue the image without the backlight has a different feel to it. And I won't argue that. I just think its the wrong kind of feel for this sort of image.

As already mentioned, the gorgeous model is Alexis. MUA was Michelle. Reno, who was my "Aziz" for the day, assisted by wielding a large gold reflector, slightly warming Ms. Alexis' skin. Images were captured with a Canon 5D w/85mm prime, ISO 100, f/4.5 @ 125th.

No comments: