Friday, September 01, 2006

Alien Bees New Ringflash

A PGS hat-tip to Wisconsin pro-shooter, J.P. Greco for the heads-up on the imminent release of Paul Huff's affordable Alien Bees Ringflash.

Note: I don't see anything yet about this new product on AB's website, I'm only providing the hyper-link (above) as a courtesy... cuz that's the kind of guy I am: Very courteous-like.

According to an Alien Bees press release, their ABR800 Self-Contained Studio Ringflash System will sell for $399.00 and is expected to be available on September 15, 2006.

Below is AB's general description of their new, ringflash product:

The ABR800 ringflash is a highly evolved self-contained ringflash system designed to meet the challenges of the new-generation creative professional photographer. It is extremely compact, lightweight and easy to use with professional or semi-professional cameras with lenses up to 4-inches in diameter. The ABR800 has a full range of adjustments to accommodate cameras of all heights and depths. It is fully self-contained and weighs approximately 2.5 pounds including a built-in 320 true wattsecond power supply and modeling lamp system. In use, the unit need only be plugged into a standard 120VAC outlet – no power pack is required. The basic ringflash is 8-inches in diameter and approximately 4.5-inches deep including front lamp protector / diffuser. A wide range of accessories can be quickly attached and locked into place. The ABR800 features the same rear panel controls as our AlienBees B400, B800 and B1600 units.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ringflash. I'll admit, however, my opinions are tempered by the fact that I've never used one and are based, solely, on viewing images belonging to others which utilized a ringflash in their production.

There are things I like and don't like about a ringflash. Yeah, a ringflash can produce outstanding images: Its evenly-distributed light is virtually shadow-free with some interesting highlights. It produces a unique catchlight in the model's eyes although, personally, I feel the ringflash's catchlight is odd-looking and somewhat unappealing. I've noticed that many shooters utilize a ringflash without adding other light sources into their image's production. I advocate the use of shadows in images and I like highlights as well so if I were to use a ringflash, I wouldn't see it as a stand-alone alternative to my lighting schemes.

Much like using other studio lighting gear, the ringflash is designed for use in the camera's manual mode, that is, you'll need to take meter readings or use the histogram to produce properly exposed images. That, in and of itself, is not a problem. I shoot almost everything in manual mode. But, for me, I can see an added step will sometimes be required in producing images since I tend to move around a lot when shooting. When I change the distance between myself and the model, i.e., the camera and the model, I'll need to take additional readings off the ringflash to ensure proper exposure.

When using static light sources, for example strobes on stands, once I've taken my readings the exposure remains--for the most part--the same unless I move the model around and significantly change the distance between herself and the light source. Perhaps I could make marks on the floor at varying distances between myself and the model when using a ringflash? That is, I could take readings at those distances and adjust exposure as I move in and out, changing the distance between the model and myself.

At $399.00 this unit is very attractive in spite of the fact that it is powered by A/C which would mean being tethered to a power cable. The ABR800's budget-minded price alone, however, may prompt me to purchase one just to see if my personal dislikes regarding some aspects of using a ringflash hold little water.

The eye-candy I've posted here is my good pal, Ms. Kori Rae, shot at various times. A ringflash was not used in the production of any of these pics.

Here's a link to a PDF file for Alien Bee's new Ringflash: Click HERE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if I don't get one of these (likely I'll get one to play with) the fact that someone is trying to make decent equipment at a reasonable price is good to hear. I've got a few of his other lights and enjoy them. Here is a link to a PDF release on the ringflash, not sure if you already saw this.

http://www.rawleyphoto.com/buffnewproduct.pdf

Cheers

Scott

jimmyd said...

Here is a link to a PDF release on the ringflash, not sure if you already saw this.

thanks! yeah, that's the press release i saw. it was sent to me by JP Greco but it was part of an email attachment and I couldn't get it to work as a hyperlink. thanks again. i've added the link to the article.

-jimmyd

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you have seen this yet. Here is some more info on AB ring flash and pictures of it.

http://tbreedlove.googlepages.com/ABR800info.pdf

Scott