Sunday, September 17, 2006

Why Post Pics?

Besides maintaining personal web sites with portfolios of their work, a lot of shooters post their images on photography forums. I'm one of the many who do so. In fact, I post pics on multiple forums and I post them fairly regularly.

Although I'm occasionally a contemplative guy, I've never dissected my reasons for posting pics on photography forums other than the obvious: Receiving help and/or looking for ego strokes. I'll admit, I'm most often looking for the latter. Besides making some dough and loving the whole process of creating images, what's the point of capturing them if not to share the work with others? In my case, moreso since so much of my work goes out into the world uncredited or, when it does get credited, it is often in quite small, fine print. I've got a fat head to maintain! The care, feeding, and general maintenance that goes along with owning a fat head ain't easy sometimes.

Bobby G, an excellent PGS (Pretty Girl Shooter) from down Houston, Texas, way, must have woke up in an introspective mood the other day because he took on this subject of why post pics? and shared his thoughts on one of the boards I also participate on, PhotoCamel.com. With Bobby's permission, I thought I'd share here what Bobby shared there. Besides, it's Sunday, supposedly a day of rest. Why not let someone else (mostly) write the blog today? Sounds reasonable to me.

Bobby, whose eye-catching pretty girl work can be viewed at TheIntimateLook.com, had this to say:

So WHY DO I POST an image here, or on other forums?

Is it so I can improve as a photographer?
Is it for a pat on the back or an "attaboy"?
Is it to show others my development process?
Is it to receive constructive criticism on an image?
Is it EGO?

The answer to ALL of the questions above is YES... but sometimes NO. And I bet my reasoning is the same for many others as well.

Bobby goes on to explain each point and he does so in some depth so sit back-- it'll take a few minutes to read but, IMO, it's worth your time:

Do I want to improve as a photographer? Absolutely I do. I know I have come along way since rekindling the photography passion 2 years ago... BUT I also know I have a long way to go. When I post an image, I know it's gonna get its fair share of Nice... GREAT Shot... cute girl... WOW. I understand that, but many times I am looking for that tip or helpful advice that will take an image to the next level. When I get feedback from someone I consider to be a top of the line pro, I consume everything they say and try to apply it to my photography. After all, they have been there, done that, got the T-shirt, so why not take what they have to say to heart. That doesn't mean that if a rank amateur makes a comment I don't heed it as well, but generally speaking, I'd like to think the person giving the advice has the resume' to do so. Personally, I think sites like this and others, are INVALUABLE. I may not get the answer I need on the board itself, but I usually can contact someone with a few more years under their belt and get the answer/advice I need.

Is it for a pat on the back or an ATTABOY? YEP, sometimes it is and I think anyone who says different is full of whooey whooey. I know that there are times when it ALL seems to come together. The lighting, the DOF, the Models expression, the shadows, the post work. When done I just look at the final image and want to show it to everyone and YES I am looking for the OH MY GOD... AND I don't think there's anything wrong with that. What fuels my passion for this photography bug many times is the response I get from the many models I work with. MOST don't criticize my work, they just see themselves in a way maybe they haven't seen before. To hear a young girl say that MY images are the best of ALL the photographers she's worked with (whether thats true or not) REALLY hits home with me and makes me want to do it all over again.

Is it to show others my development process? Yes it is. Some of the guys that are here (on PhotoCamel.com) and on Garage Glamour (now called Glamour1) that were around when I first started shooting again may or may not remember the early images OR may not appreciate or recognize my development in the last 2 years. Recently I received 2 messages from photogs I admire and respect tremendously and they simply said they have NOTICED the growth and development and just wanted to tell me that they liked where I was at, at this time. Man you'd of thought I won the lottery cuz it made my month to hear that from colleagues I respect. So yeah, many times the image I post... I'm hoping guys will see the development curve growing bigger.

Is it to receive constructive criticism on an image? Most of the time YES but many times NO. I truly read all of the comments and replies to my posts. And I can pretty much tell by the responses if the image(s) are generally liked. When I am looking for critiques, I am not so much asking "How do I get rid of this shadow" or "Why is this image flat?" I think I have surpassed most of those issues. What I am usually after is to decide whether or not the MAJORITY like what I just put out for all to see. Jimmy D says it best when he says he doesn't really care if I like the image, just as long as the guy cutting the check does. I couldn't agree more. (Me, JimmyD, would like to butt in to say he--that is, I--likes being quoted... leastwise, his, my fat head does.) Many times I'll post an image where I know there is a contrasty shadow or one side has more light than the others or I cropped a bit different than the norm. I KNOW how to correct them. What I am looking for is, HOW DOES THE MAJORITY react? I'll probably shoot it just the same regardless of public opinion for MY PORTFOLIO but now that I am shooting for a couple of magazines, guess what? PUBLIC OPINION now has some merit if I want to continue to get paid. So, when I post images, most will not know my true reasons for posting (I think thats true for most of us here, btw, unless clearly defined within the post) but PLEASE continue to respond. THATS why I come here.

Is it EGO? YEP. GUILTY as charged. I have a big ego... ain't gonna deny it. And yes, many times I am hopeful I'll get 2 pages of "damn those are hot" replies. That fuels the ego and makes me want to post and take more images BUT BETTER than the ones before. With me, it's almost a competition against myself. Can I outdo my last session with this next model?? Don't know if thats a bad or good thing but I know it makes me continue to try different things. So once again, anyone who says ego isn't a part of their agenda, I 'll probly have to call bulls**t on that...LOL.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis of why we post pics on photo forums, Bobby! And thanks for writing my blog today. You've given me more time to rest on this day of rest-- not that my fat behind doesn't get too much rest already.

The Pretty Girl Pix accompanying Bobby's post is Aurora. I shot these about six months ago. MUA Terese Heddon. Canon 5D w/28-135mm zoom, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guilty of all of the above as well. Also:

I post on one site in particular because it sells prints of artist's work. My plan is to actually try to capitalize on the time, money and sweat (my studio's not air-conditioned) I put into my work. I don't know that I'll ever sell anything directly from the site, but I can link to individual images from mine, and when my marketing gets going here soon (no, really) hopefully people will buy from my site through that one.

Also, I find it gets the attention of models when you post good images on sites they read. That's usually a good thing too.

M