Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Photographers Say the Darndest Things

As usual, I spent some time cruising the web today. Part of my web-cruising often includes stops at various photo forums, photo news sites, and a customary visit to Google's advanced search engine. I use Google to see what I can find using various strings and combinations of words-- Words that regularly include EULs (English Units of Language) such as photography or photographer amongst them.

Today, as a result of a painstaking and highly scientific, advanced, Google search, I stumbled on a site called PhotoQuotes.com.

PhotoQuotes, as its names implies, consists of quotations from photographers and others, i.e., as the words of others (non-photographers) might relate to photography. Here's an example of a quote from an other, that is, a non-photographer: "Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it." -Confucius

Being the self-absorbed and self-deluded shooter I am, I immediately looked to see if there was any chance that I were (somehow) quoted. Alas, the good folks at PhotoQuotes.com have yet to discover the wit and wisdom of your's truly. Oh well. If I keep writing this blog, and keep shooting prettier and prettier girls, then someday... maybe... who knows?

The very first quote I encountered (because it's on the masthead of the site) was attributed to British-born Aussie photographer and graphic designer, Peter Adams. Adams once said, "Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field."

I like that! It kind of says it all (well, it says a lot) in just a few words. I thought I'd look to see what else Mr. Adams had to say about this thing we do. Here's another of his quotes: "Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gizmos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel."

Now I know why I haven't been quoted by PhotoQuotes.com. I haven't ever said anything as articulately wise or profound as guys like Adams have said!

Another possible reason: I'm not anywhere near as well-known -- as a practitioner of the photographic arts -- as people like Peter Adams and the many other shooters (many of them more celebrated than Mr. Adams) who are quoted on the PhotoQuotes site. But I'm working on that. And since I am a guy in his fifties, time is definitely of the essence!

I think PhotoQuotes.com is going to be a great reference site for my pretty girl shooting blog-writing. In the future, when I judiciously quote various photographers and others who've famously ruminated aloud about this photography thing, readers might be tricked into believing I'm a very well read guy. Who knows? Perhaps enough people will think me an intelligent enough guy that, sooner or later, word will get out about my vast knowledge of all things photographic, including my ability to draw upon the sage words of other shooters, and I'll get quoted on PhotoQuotes.com myself! Something to shoot for, right? (Pun intended.)

The sexy stable vixen providing the gratuitous eye candy today is Ava. I dug these out of the hard drives. There were shot on a set (on a sound-stage) about a year-and-a-half ago or so with a Canon 20D w/28-135mm zoom. Once again, these pretty girl pics are totally unrelated to the subject of this post. While these images may speak a language different than the quotes on PhotoQuotes, I suppose they do communicate on certain levels.

No comments: