Sunday, October 29, 2006

Is CG the Future of Glamour Photography?

There are those who believe CG (Computer Generated) is a big part of the future of glamour photography. It's certainly true that CG has improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. Realism in photo-quality CG is already causing people to look closely at images to determine how much of it is real and how much is, as that old commercial for audio tape once said, "Memorex." When you consider how realistic talented CG artists can now render an image, it's not hard to imagine what it might be like a few more years down the road.

Hollywood jumped on the CG bandwagon years ago. CG effects in movies are now more realistic than ever before and it's only going to become more genuine looking as technologies continue to evolve and emerge. Will they even need actors in the future or will the craft of acting be replaced with real-life-looking computer animation in ways we can't yet fathom?

What about glamour and fashion and commercial modeling? Will we need models in the future? Will they be replaced by the imaginations and skills of animators and computer geeks? I don't know.

But I'll tell you what I do know. Computer animation will never replace or mimic the human soul. No matter how realistic the images become, there will always be a nagging doubt in the eyes and minds of those image's viewers and a feeling that something doesn't look or seem quite right. Computer animators might continue to be able to render life-like images in ways never seen before, but they will never be able to render the human spirit. Human beings will always be able to tell the difference. When it comes to recognizing humans, it takes one to know one. Sure, perhaps some of the people will be fooled some of the time but that's where it ends; with just some of the people.

Here's and example of photo-realistic CG from the artist's intitial sketch through completion. As good as that image becomes as you view each frame in its evolotion, it still doesn't completely capture the essence of a beautiful, sexy woman. I hope it never does.

The real-live, fully-human, model pictured in this post is Alexis. I know she's real because I've touched her... something no computer animator will ever be able to do with their subjects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt CG will replace real models until it becomes cheaper then hiring real models and photographers.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there will come a day when it is cheaper to go this route, although I still think it's a ways off. This wouldn't do me any good since I really suck when it comes to art. I love photography and I'm bad enough at it. Don't tell me I have to learn how to draw now...even if it's on the computer. I do think, however, that this is the route the future will take. It's going to be cheaper and probably a lot less time consuming once the programming is out there. Oh well...I can still chase butterflies around the yard. :)