Tuesday, October 24, 2006

StatCounter

I use StatCounter to keep an eye on whether anyone's actually reading my ramblings here. It's a great tool. Not only do you get to see how many people visit your site--and you can look at that data in many ways--but where they've come from. Every now and then, I get a huge spike in traffic. When that happens, it gets my attention. "Wow!" I'll think. "Where are all these people suddenly coming from and why?"

StatCounter always answers that question. By looking at the "Recent Came From" statistics, I can see the sudden surge of surfers are usually coming from a specific URL. I then click on that URL to see why all these people--sometimes thousands of them--are suddenly showing up for a look-see at my blog.

Yesterday was a good example: All of a sudden my traffic doubled and my "page loads" quadrupled and a lot of it was coming from the photography website, Digital Photography Review, AKA dpreview.com. Not only will StatCounter tell you where your site's visitors came from but, in the case of forums, it will direct you to where in that forum they came from. Cool stuff, no?

Regarding yesterday's traffic spike, it seem there was a thread on DPreview in which beauty dishes were being discussed. Someone in that thread mentioned that I had written about the Mola Beauty Dish and suggested others on DPreview have a look. Obviously, the poster included the URL to my article. Then, "Boom!" I get this huge traffic spike! I also looked at the "Page Loads" data and found that, after perusing my Mola post, many of these people decided to look around at a bunch of other pages for some reading or looking at the babes or both.

If only StatCounter could tell me whether people view my site for the photography babblings I author or for the pretty girl pics I post? I guess it really doesn't matter much. Both the words and the pictures are of my making so my ego remains stroked and/or intact either way.

Today's images are of the lovely Leah. MUA was Charlene. Ya gotta love the heart that's in the image at the top. BTW, if you're detail-oriented and you think something looks a little odd with Leah's teeth in the first shot, it's because she has braces... and yes, she's over 18! She's in her twenties actually.

Posted below is a behind-the-scenes shot of the lighting setup for those of you who like seeing that stuff. All shot with a Canon 5D. (Except the BTS shot which I snapped with a Canon 20D w/28-135 zoom.) I used a Canon 85mm, f/1.8 prime with the 5D, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 125th.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey JimmyD,
I'm hear for the photographic babbling... And the pretty images does make my reading more enjoyable.
Keep on babbling.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I came in by way of dpreview for the Mola discussion. I stayed for tips on black chicks, and the AB Ring light review, and most especially the Illusions of Perfection with the Dove film. Sure would like to find a step-by-step on THAT post processing!

The pretty girls? Well, they don't hurt... ;-)

Anonymous said...

After an hour or more commute on the 405, I usually come hear to stare at the pics and read the humorous babble.....The 405 makes ya crazy....

BTW - How do you attach your flagging to the sides of the softboxes? Or are they on their own arms/stands?

If only I could read this while in that parking lot of a freeway, I could have 2 hours of my life back per day....

You keep posting, I'll keep reading (and learning).


Scott

jimmyd said...

After an hour or more commute on the 405, I usually come hear to stare at the pics and read the humorous babble.....The 405 makes ya crazy...

man i know what that's like. i commuted to and from santa monica airport from north hollywood and, later, canyon country, for 12 years! my condolences.

jimmyd said...

I was the person that told people to come here, glad a lot did.

thanks, trekkie! i'm glad ya did too.

jimmyd said...

BTW - How do you attach your flagging to the sides of the softboxes? Or are they on their own arms/stands?

i just use those cheap, spring-loaded clamps or clips or whatever they are and attach to the side of the softboxes. the flags are either styro or foamcore so they don't weigh much.

Anonymous said...

Ramblings... definately the ramblings. I love seeing the way you think about different things. It's great content.

Keep it up. Not sure How I got linked here, but I did and love it.

Images are great, but the words behind it is what makes me return!

jimmyd said...

I guess the verdict is in: I'll just keep rambling and babbling and posting a few pics here and there. Thanks guys!